Sure many people learnt life skills once they got out of the classroom.

Back to the original topic, the only time I was not allowed to work legally was in Dubai as per my husband's and my dependant visa. It was not allowed. Also the employment rules in the UAE meant the as a female , if the job didn't work out ( a lot of sexism, low pay for long hours - think slave labour. ) could result in my being extradited, which would cause problems with his employment. So, I began ( secretly and illegally but it worked.) my own small business from home in sewing/alterations as a 'hobby'. Eventually, it led to a casual job ( paid under the table, so to speak) in child care and childrens' clothing design. When the orders began coming in thick and fast, that's when my husband was transferred to HK. For a while in Hong Kong, I was not working, no children just our cat. But given the allowance the my husband set off, I had to keep within that and find a flat, budget for groceries, transport et al...One makes choices and with the choices we make or circumstances we may find ourselves in, have to adapt and contribute. Swim or sink.