Like Tree122Likes

Why is "low fat" anything bad?

Closed Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17

The Answer

People want to change their bodies.
    They do NOT want to lose weight — despite what they may think

The body doesn't arrive at the end of the day, tot up the calories in-out then add/remove a block of fat as appropriate.

You exercise Maximum Intensity to build lean muscle and to flip the genetic switch to burnGLYCOGENonly. Then, for the rest of the 24 hours that switch goes to burnFATonly.

It is pointless to weigh yourself. Counting calories does not work, as who knows hat the day will being?

Here's the kicker — the body has no mechanism for storing protein. So, if you eat plenty of protein calories, you will gain weight but take in a caloric deficit - as muscle tissue is heavy.
    Later on, you may lose/gain bodyweight as water is replenished, fat is used, etc
    Also, there ARE 2 chemicals which cause adipose cells to release their contents or stick to stuff destined for fat-storage causing it to be transported out of the body.

So, basically, the objective is to gain the correct type of body tissue ... not to SIMPLY LOSE BODY TISSUE

You want plenty of proteins and healthy fats [which build the muscle cell structure], plus carbs to spare the muscles' protein during tough exertion.

too many bro scientists on here i see

and bro physicists too wanting to rewrite the first law of thermodynamics.

wow.

do what works for you. if you are dropping bodyfat % great.

for me i'm counting my calories and macros and dropping. done.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Ha Ha - What a complete load of utter hogwash I am reading on here. The burnt toast is tame by comparison. There's some good points as well.

When I was a kid in the 70s we used to laugh at the fat Americans and the less than 1% fat people in our classrooms. Wimpy > McDonalds in those days (both in taste and number) but a take away (burger, Fish 'n chips or Chinese) was a once a week treat at best. We were never lacking in treats and desserts but fresh veg and fruits from the local greengrocers to accompany whatever the main was the norm maybe 6 days out of 7. Sunday roast and dessert (apple crumble, rhubarb crumble, apple and rhubarb crumble, blackberry and apple pie etc etc).

Fast forward 20 years and the fast food culture prevails in the UK with the resultant increase in obesity. That's about the first time I started coming to Asia.

Fast forward another 20 years and the fast food culture prevails in Asia with the resultant increase in obesity. The amount of overweight kids I see on my daily walks is shocking but understandable.

If I want to lose weight I exercise more and eat less but I definitely don't diet, just,cut out the goodies and things like bread and also reduce the rice intake.

It's very simple. Fuck all to do with calories and more especially fuck all to do with any 'advice' from nutritionists, body builders etc etc. There is nothing wrong with an occasional treat, nothing wrong with occasional fast food. More than that generally means expanded waistline.

Sith likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Mate, you are literally rehashing an argument that was put forward on post #7 of this thread. Five years ago. It's been explained (in the same and immediately following pages) why this is overly simplistic.

Unfortunately, the bodybuilding and fitness 'communities' are some of the most laughably untrustworthy sources of information possible. It's full of magical thinking, pseudoscience, fads that change with the winds, and... well... people who can't even count the number of days in a week.

I would point towards this gem, as most entertaining reading:

https://gawker.com/bodybuilders-try-...%20on%20Sunday.
    For sure, the thread had been dormant for a good few years before Huja brought it back to life, and then lo and behold, what do we find?..... Yet another person that still believes it's all about calories in calories out!

Clearly the work is far from finished!

But I will confess that, unusually, I didn't read the previous 15 pages before commenting...

Quote Originally Posted by hkaneshiro:
    too many bro scientists on here i see

and bro physicists too wanting to rewrite the first law of thermodynamics.

wow.

do what works for you. if you are dropping bodyfat % great.

for me i'm counting my calories and macros and dropping. done.
    Ha ha - You don't seriously think that because your body stores calories from MM's as fat much more readily than calories from Broccoli (and consequently makes less glycogen available at the time) that the laws of thermodynamics are being violated now do you?

If you want to spend your time counting cals, that's cool with us all, but please don't go corrupting any lil'bro's down the gym now will you.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    For sure, the thread had been dormant for a good few years before Huja brought it back to life, and then lo and behold, what do we find?..... Yet another person that still believes it's all about calories in calories out!

Clearly the work is far from finished!

But I will confess that, unusually, I didn't read the previous 15 pages before commenting...
    My comment wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at the guy re-spouting the simplistic line that we've been hearing for decades. But yeah, one of the things that getting older has taught me is that things are rarely as simple as people like them to be.

The calories in vs expended idea is beguilingly, seductively simplistic. I believe that it's generally pretty applicable, but that there is a lot more to the story than an easy one-liner.

I'm personally one of the worst possible examples to use when it comes to weight loss and exercise, just have a totally bizarre metabolism so I cannot really offer meaningful advice on what's effective. But one thing my metabolism does demonstrate, at least for me, is that that boiling it down to a slogan is not useful- I can maintain bodyweight at a fairly 'normal' caloric intake, but boosting the calorie intake by 50-75%.... still maintains normal bodyweight. Clearly, my body isn't absorbing and utilising everything that's being ingested.

It's struck me as kind of interesting that people assume that everything you eat is 100% absorbed by the body, with different foods being treated exactly, precisely the same. For the initial calorie counts (the method has changed nowdays), this would have assumed that our metabolisms were metal cannisters that could push high voltage through freeze dried food and flash burn it. Yet people still take these numbers as pure gospel, and invoke speshul polysyllabic words like 'thermodynamics' because they somehow think that the human body is a closed system, instead of simply being useful heuristics.
    Last edited by jgl; 19-07-2021 at 09:57 PM.

The only thing I am certain about is that if someone claims a particular diet is the best at the expense of others, he/she is full of shit. There are principles and guidelines to start with and then it has to be adapted to the individual and their activities in order to be optimized. Any cult leader pushing keto, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, intermittent fasting or any other flavor of the day on everyone passing by is a charlatan.

Closed Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17