Like Tree69Likes

Highway to PC Hell

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

I completely understand and respect your view. I'm not sure we were discussing 'legal' status here...more how people 'self identify' in spite of physical realities.
    We are talking exactly the same thing. You see, I look like a dick and an ass, but my name is Howard. I prefer to be called Howard. I used to be called dick because I looked like a dick, but now I go by Howard. My choice eh.

All I am saying is, I fully respect your right to self identify as whatever you like. For your part, I hope you can respect my right not to have to play along.
    My name is Howard. I told you my name is Howard.
    In the private context, if its just the 2 of us shooting the shit and you keep calling me by something else, I'd simply think you were thick or ignorant and move on. No need to waste time with such pricks.

In the public context, if we were at a work place, a public university, in a government office or similar professional arena, and you pulled the same stunt, I'd do my utmost to get your unprofessional ass fired. There is no room for thick or ignorant people in positions of influence.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHairy:
    People are getting sick and tired of walking on eggshells worrying in case they offend someone and it will stop, you can see the backlash gaining momentum...
    I don't see that much of a backlash at all. More and more places are adopting these measures and policies such as these will slowly and steadily work their way into the modern workplace. Of course, there will always be the resenters, bigots, and the right-wing media sensationalising the issue, but that's expected with most socially progressive policies.
    Last edited by civil_servant; 18-09-2016 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    We are talking exactly the same thing. You see, I look like a dick and an ass, but my name is Howard. I prefer to be called Howard. I used to be called dick because I looked like a dick, but now I go by Howard. My choice eh.

My name is Howard. I told you my name is Howard.
    In the private context, if its just the 2 of us shooting the shit and you keep calling me by something else, I'd simply think you were thick or ignorant and move on. No need to waste time with such pricks.

In the public context, if we were at a work place, a public university, in a government office or similar professional arena, and you pulled the same stunt, I'd do my utmost to get your unprofessional ass fired. There is no room for thick or ignorant people in positions of influence.
    Thank you for your interesting post. Can I just check that you don't think we're having a discussion about changing your name by deed poll?

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I don't see that much of a backlash at all. More and more places are adopting these measures and policies such as these will slowly and steadily work their way into the modern workplace. Of course, there will always be the resenters, bigots, and the right-wing media sensationalising the issue, but that's expected with most socially progressive policies.
    Completely understand what you're saying and thank you for your post.

I would argue that policies that attempt inhibit freedom of thought and speech are socially regressive.

That said, I can see that passions are rising in a couple of posters and that never ends well.

Thank you for your interesting post. Can I just check that you don't think we're having a discussion about changing your name by deed poll?
    We are talking about me and how I wish everyone else to refer to me when talking about me, my being, my identity.

We are talking about me and how I wish everyone else to refer to me when talking about me, my being, my identity.
    Well, if I was your colleague and you decided you wanted to be called The Supreme Overlord of Happy Valley, I'd respect your choice, refuse and take my chances with HR..,

Well, if I was your colleague and you decided you wanted to be called The Supreme Overlord of Happy Valley, I'd respect your choice, refuse and take my chances with HR..,
    That would not be a wise choice as your idea of social progressiveness is not tolerated in most civilized places and that includes the lovely suburb of Tuen Mun.
    Last edited by HowardCoombs; 18-09-2016 at 10:24 PM.

That would be a wise choice as your idea of social progressiveness is not tolerated in most civilized places and that includes the lovely suburb of Tuen Mun.
    Can I just be sure that we're clear...if we were colleagues and you decided to self-identify as Captain America...I should play along, any refusal by me to play along should result in my dismissal and I'd deserve to be sacked because of my ignorance?

Just to add...we're being civil right? This is just a discussion. If you start throwing insults around I'm out mate.

Can I just be sure that we're clear...if we were colleagues and you decided to self-identify as Captain America...
    Not just self identify, but change my identity with the blessing of the law, the HR department, my superiors, my parents, my priest and the rest of my community.
    I should play along, any refusal by me to play along should result in my dismissal and I'd deserve to be sacked because of my ignorance?
    Yup, you got that right. I've told you my name is Howard but for some reason, you keep calling me other things. If thats not ignorant, then what is?
    Just to add...we're being civil right? This is just a discussion. If you start throwing insults around I'm out mate.
    Then bugger off you ignorant git. I'm not your mate. I'm Howard. If you cant get that right, then begone.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast