View Poll Results: Should Hong Kong buses go coin-free?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 8.82%
  • No

29 85.29%
  • Other (explain yourself)

1 2.94%
  • What's a bus?

1 2.94%
Like Tree52Likes

Should Hong Kong buses go coin-free?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    you want to catch a mini bus in uk then, the frequency is around 45 minutes to the next one, no midnight mini buses on most major cities in UK, even the midnight bus is frequecy is at 2 hour intervals

taxis in UK cost around 3 times what you pay in HK, even the london underground cost 4.50 quid for one stop but only HK$3.20 for a single stop on the MTR

at the end of the day, HK public transport is cheap and cheerful
    I used to avoid going out in the West End in London because at the end of the night it was either a 50 quid minicab to get home or a 2 hour night bus journey (after a 30-40 mins wait).

Hong Kong is far far superior in that aspect.
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    I used to avoid going out in the West End in London because at the end of the night it was either a 50 quid minicab to get home or a 2 hour night bus journey (after a 30-40 mins wait).

Hong Kong is far far superior in that aspect.
    well, uber is still available in UK, cheaper, but no where as near as cheap as HK

yes, a 16km (10 miles) taxi journey would cost around 30 quid in uk, expect another 10 quid if you catch a black cab, but same journey in a HK taxi would only cost around HKD145-150 (without any tunnel crossings)

a mini bus journey in Birmingham at 10km would cost around 2.70 quid, but the same distance in Hk( without any tunnel crossings) would HK$9-11, frequency of the minibus is also twice or three times more than in UK

Sometimes I forget to top up octopus card and have no notes in the wallet so coins literally get me to and from work. So I do like that they have an option to pay with coins.

imparanoic, Mat and BCD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea addict:
    Sometimes I forget to top up octopus card and have no notes in the wallet so coins literally get me to and from work. So I do like that they have an option to pay with coins.
    it's worse then you entry a car park and the octopus has no money, but your spare car octopus also has no money (very rare though), what do you do when there is 3-4 cars behind you!!

So many smaller vendors don't take cents. I use them on buses

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    it's worse then you entry a car park and the octopus has no money, but your spare car octopus also has no money (very rare though), what do you do when there is 3-4 cars behind you!!
    You make everyone back out and they will all give you a look like you're a total douche to ensure you never make that mistake again.

Anyhow, coins save me money. Always good to pay a fare of $18 with 160 10-cent coins. They never count.
    imparanoic likes this.

I've actually had a few taxis recently round DOWN my fare to avoid being given small coins (or having to hand back small coins). Even they don't want the hassle of anything less than a dollar!

Just back from Japan ... someone should talk to them about coins!

Who wants a handful of 1 Yen coins?

vmlinuz and Mat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Just back from Japan ... someone should talk to them about coins!

Who wants a handful of 1 Yen coins?
    Just try to leave them, or refuse them, and get chased down the street by the shopkeeper worried that you didn't take your change!
    Fiona in HKG and Rob2020 like this.

Original Post Deleted
    What don't you understand?

1.) Octopus has already breached our trust and it's a massive monopoly. 2.) We have an untrustworthy government.

You need more?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast