Like Tree13Likes

Getting your attention span back...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Getting your attention span back...

Over the last few years, I've become painfully aware that my attention span has dropped - from several hours to 10-15 mins.

Some say that is good and essential to juggling tasks, I don't like that I'm not able to concentrate on a single task for multiple hours - something I could do very easily.

Here's a good read which offers some suggestions...

There are a thousand beautiful ways to start the day that don’t begin with looking at your phone. And yet so few of us choose to do so.
    https://backchannel.com/how-i-got-my...k-c7fc9297d347
    Elegiaque and Fiona in HKG like this.

your post is too long i didn't until the end ...

@Beuze - I got a bespoke digital detox holiday, with curated offline experiences to sell to you.

Beuze likes this.

- or we're just getting old and senile.

Zero Gravitas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    - or we're just getting old and senile.
    Definitely affecting me too. I tend to take a break on holidays, so I avoid getting into the habit of buying a SIM for the destination country and have data roaming off.

I had the same, especially most jobs nowadays are open space, which means you get interrupted all the time, it doesn't really help with attention span, you just have to look like you are busy all the time, if you concentrate on something people will think you are slacking off. Weird world we live in

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Life nowadays has too many distrAPPtions...

When I went to Europe to continue my studies, I had to stay in a dormitory my first year in a former Eastern Bloc building. No internet, no phone wiring, nothing. I easily passed my language proficiency exam in a few months to continue studying and learned how to translate Latin into that foreign language. It's one of my greatest academic achievements (albeit not a very useful one). I wonder now with amazement at how I ever did that. Sundays I sat in that very disconnected room by myself with practices exams... that's how.

It's become really awful, and since when can you not accomplish things you want to do just because of Facebook?

FOMO ... fear of missing out.

For the record, I log into Facebook once or twice a week. Randomly for work..

My personal account - probably not signed in for well over a year. If anyone has anything remotely important - they know my email address / phone number.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

I avoided Facebook for years when it first came out (over a decade ago now!). Then a family member pissed me off enough to really make me stop using it for years (only sometimes sneaking a peak at what those back home were doing). Coming to HK, a group I joined was managed *only* on Facebook. I had to make an account to be a part.... and that's perhaps been the unraveling... But then there's whatsapp groups you're obliged to join, or even students getting your number and messaging at night...

Anyway, with the holiday now, perhaps a good time to go offline for a few days and move the phone charger.

Thanks for the reminder shri (not very good for business, though, is it?).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast