Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3891011
Like Tree59Likes

Google and the diversity debate

Mat

Knowing when to stop.

Is a quality.

I will leave this here, and go get a coffee.

HK_Katherine and kimwy66 like this.

I'm just wondering if this was an interaction in Google, who would get fired?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Sorry, I didn't really understand your post.

I've spent some time there and the amount of lip service paid to inclusiveness, diversity, acceptance and equality is through the roof. It's plastered all over the place on signage, etched into the walls of schools and public playgrounds.

To me though, simply throwing the words out there doesn't mean jack, and relying on slogans rather than being able to discuss or explore issues in depth is completely counterproductive.

It's the same way that people from San Francisco/Silicon Valley go on about environmentalism, but at the same time consumer culture and constant Amazon Prime deliveries (and subsequent contribution to landfills) is at insane levels compared to the rest of the world.

As an outsider, it seems to me that one of the aspects of the culture there is to pay lip service to political correctness, carefully toe the verbal line, and otherwise completely ignore simmering social issues.

Gender discrimination is obvious there (as are other issues such as race and socioeconomic divides), but the way that Google handled it was both cliched and counterproductive.
    I meant that I don't believe SV employees especially at senior management levels are as liberal as the stereotype of Northern California is. Peter Thiel is among this set, remember. I lived in the area for many years and have friends working at Google among other firms based there.

Nearly all major corporations have lip service about inclusiveness and diversity these days.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    I meant that I don't believe SV employees especially at senior management levels are as liberal as the stereotype of Northern California is. Peter Thiel is among this set, remember. I lived in the area for many years and have friends working at Google among other firms based there.

Nearly all major corporations have lip service about inclusiveness and diversity these days.
    Oh, right. Yes, I'd find that entirely plausible. Though Peter Thiel is probably some extreme outlier still.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3891011