View Poll Results: What should Vegans not do?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wear use leather

4 28.57%
  • Sit on leather

3 21.43%
  • Wear Wool

4 28.57%
  • Not eat Pork Scratchings

3 21.43%
  • Tell everyone about veganism

11 78.57%
  • stop with the polls

5 35.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree33Likes

Should Vegans....

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

begging-ism should be the next step up from fruitarianism

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    In my opinion and experience, its typically the vegan that is usually acting and projecting smugness and superiority while the others you've cited just state their choices without attaching any emotion to their lifestyle choice....
    There's certainly the reformed evangelist personality type (i.e. someone saw the light wrt. alcohol, smoking, one of the deities, environment, cruelty to animals, trump or maybe a dictatorship that gives your boat a lift...) and I feel that the personality type is spread equally across the field.

Now, if you're personally very attached to, say, the custom of eating meat you might find the vegans particularly irksome while the other evangelists you can simply ignore. Likewise those liking their drink would find a reformed AA advocate very annoying indeed. If you finally managed to leave your religious group you might not be inclined to invite the next pair of mormons into your living room.

You did, quite rightly, start off by referring to your own opinion and experience. Perhaps meat-eating is an ingrained part of your way of life and therefore vegans naturally stand out. Or maybe you were just unlucky with statistics and the vegans you've come across really were annoyingly smug.

Live and let live. Although meat eaters may need to compromise on the latter for a more fulfilling personal experience...

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    how many fruitarian's in the group

Is shaking the tree allowed so that fruits can fall off lol
    Damm they must get hungry waiting for food to fall off trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitarianism
    They forgot there's a hunting to the gathering part.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I can't work out if this is supposed to be a joke or just trolling vegans. Either way it fails.
    Neither really. Perhaps a little trolling but it is interesting how some people modify their lifestyles to conform to a codified belief structure.

At least vegan lipstick has been created so you don't have to put dead crushed beetles around your mouth

Damn now I miss the old dead crushed beetle Campari again...

it is interesting how some people modify their lifestyles to conform to a codified belief structure.
    This is in reference to vegans?

Frankly I don't know your back story so I can't fathom the rationale for this particular crusade. Elsewhere I've seen you display plenty of empathy and understanding towards fellow members of the homo sapiens. Why does it bug you (pun intended) so much if some people make a point of minimizing their impact on our eco-system?

Maybe try just concentrating on the positives, like the fact that the more vegetarians and vegans there are, the more of the limited space on the planet will still be available for feeding the livestock. Win-win, although maybe not totally so for the livestock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto:
    Damn now I miss the old dead crushed beetle Campari again...

This is in reference to vegans?

Frankly I don't know your back story so I can't fathom the rationale for this particular crusade. Elsewhere I've seen you display plenty of empathy and understanding towards fellow members of the homo sapiens. Why does it bug you (pun intended) so much if some people make a point of minimizing their impact on our eco-system?

Maybe try just concentrating on the positives, like the fact that the more vegetarians and vegans there are, the more of the limited space on the planet will still be available for feeding the livestock. Win-win, although maybe not totally so for the livestock.
    I'm not so sure. I guess I can understand that humans have a basic need to 'belong' to something be it a religion, sports team fan even the CCP as they help fulfill basic human needs but the codification of lifestyle with Yoga and Eating habits I have yet to rationalize. I did read a paper 20+ years ago that suggested non-meat eaters cause more animal deaths due to the high levels of pesticides and insecticides used in high protein crops. I can't shake the belief I have that animals that are 'pretty' count more than 'ugly' creatures. I never see PETA campaign to save locusts.

To be fair vegans are not as bad as Ivy League or Oxbridge types who always seem to let you know within 10 minutes where they studied but still I find the need to belong to a codified system interesting. I do consider veganism an eating disorder in the same way some societies gorge on red meat.

Last edited by East_coast; 02-02-2018 at 11:22 PM.
    Mefisto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Perhaps a little trolling but it is interesting how some people modify their lifestyles to conform to a codified belief structure.
    Says the person who shows a compulsive obsessive behaviour of trying to modify this entire city according to his/her belief.

It's a bit insulting to the people that really suffer eating disorders to say something like this. An eating disorder is defined by abnormal or disturbed eating habits stemming from psychological disorders. While it may be the case for some, it certainly isn't for the majority, it's a simple conscious choice not a need created from a troubled psyche. If we follow your train of thought, anyone that deviates from the norm has a disorder and then the question becomes what is the norm. Does someone that doesn't eat dairy product or drink alcohol suffer from an eating disorder too?

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Says the person who shows a compulsive obsessive behaviour of trying to modify this entire city according to his/her belief.
    We all have biases but if I see what I consider a good policy or argument I will praise it if I see a bad policy or weak argument I will challenge it.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    Does someone that doesn't, dairy product or drink alcohol suffer from an eating disorder too?
    Probably not.

It is the extremes that are more interesting but not that interesting. Anyway must get back to toilet paper usage correlation to GDP growth
    civil_servant likes this.