Like Tree11Likes

Sacha Baron Cohen - Who is America?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    I couldn't watch after the 'puppy pistol', just couldn't bear it... I just can't imagine how people so stupid could possibly exist and be in positions of influence.
    This comment is just too rich by a guy with Trump as his avatar. Looool.
    HowardCoombs likes this.

I watched the second episode - it was a bit weaker than the first but I did think there were two pretty poignant moments:
    1. The bit with Jason Spencer yelling the N-word was horrifying yet I am glad that he was exposed as an unabashed racist.
    2. Same with the mosque skit in Arizona. It's incredibly uncomfortable to watch and not remotely funny but it's critical to expose America (at least some parts) for what it really is.

I'm looking forward to the continuous "outing" of these closeted racists and bigots.

Roy Moore, first to sue Cohen and Showtime over the show...will be interesting to see how this plays out.

https://sg.style.yahoo.com/roy-moore...203256562.html

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Roy Moore, first to sue Cohen and Showtime over the show...will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    Some good background here.
    I doubt Padeo-Roy will get very far.
    https://www.freedomforuminstitute.or...parody-satire/

I am familiar with all the parody laws from back when I studied copyright, IP, etc. in law school but this is a bit of an interesting twist in that Cohen misled his various interviewees by pretending he was someone he was not. So not a pure parody situation. That's why I think it's interesting.

I am familiar with all the parody laws from back when I studied copyright, IP, etc. in law school but this is a bit of an interesting twist in that Cohen misled his various interviewees by pretending he was someone he was not.
    Irrelevant. His audience knew and (quoted from one of the cases) "no reasonable person would believe the situation depicted in the ad to be true".
    Do you think anyone who watches the show actually believes it face value? The defense will contend that any reasonable person will know this is pure comedy and giggle their ass off
    That is what the court will decide on....

That's why I think it's interesting.
    Interesting indeed and a lot more fun.

You could parody Moore all you want and be protected- you use an actor, etc.

Getting Moore to make a fool out of himself (guessing, did not watch) by tricking him is not parody.

You could parody Moore all you want and be protected- you use an actor, etc.

Getting Moore to make a fool out of himself (guessing, did not watch) by tricking him is not parody.
    OK, its not a parody but it is a travesty, a charade, a farce, a lampoon or lump it all together and call it comedy.

Cops are allowed to lie and get away with it. I'm pretty certain the courts will allow comedians to lie too and get away with it as well, in the name of comedy and freedom of speech.

I will definitely watch this with interest and I expect you will too. It will be funny till the end.
    Lets see what happens.

A couple of years ago, there was a comedian named Mike Ward in Canada that go into trouble for using a disabled child/young man in his routine. He had to pay around 40K in damages. I wouldn't assume right off the bat that it will be dismissed. Interestingly enough, there were bit that ended up not being shown including the one with Sarah Palin. There may have been legal threats made...

I thought the show was terrible, very rarely funny, it was either depressing to see some of the stupidity or you had people politely nodding and just waiting to get out of there and a few walked off.

MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    A couple of years ago, there was a comedian named Mike Ward in Canada that go into trouble for using a disabled child/young man in his routine. He had to pay around 40K in damages.
    Slightly different.
    1) That was a Human Rights tribunal and not a court per se
    2) It took place up north. They tend to be more rigid about freedom of speech in the land of the free.