Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By SpeakCantonese
  • 1 Post By TigerSun
  • 4 Post By HK_Katherine

Exposing China's Digital Dystopian Dictatorship

Exposing China's Digital Dystopian Dictatorship

Very interesting/scary? Interesting ABC documentary about China's use of technology to manage it's population...

TigerSun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese
    Very interesting/scary?`
    Indeed very scary!

Not only is it a digital surveillance and assessment system, its a control system for things like social media accounts and restricting travel. And unlike courts, no mechanism of appeal. Ultimate big brother stuff.

I wonder what my social credit score will be after this post?
    C_S?
    Last edited by TigerSun; 12-10-2018 at 09:31 AM.
    SpeakCantonese likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun
    Indeed very scary!

Not only is it a digital surveillance and assessment system, its a control system for things like social media accounts and restricting travel. And unlike courts, no mechanism of appeal. Ultimate big brother stuff.

C_S?
    Indeed very scary. What is also scary to me is how many other governments will be attempting to edge this way.

Rest assured, this is coming to HK sooner then you think in name of "National Security".

You can forget about this, once it's over it will become obsolete.
    But wait, the Americans will grab all the data and then quiz you upon arrival on their shores.
    It so happened with Stasi data.

It would be great to have an interesting debate about this, but probably futile because it's China that's doing it. Here's my view.

Governments and others (mainly religions) have been trying to control populations for millennia. A few thousand years ago, "the Gods of Olympia" were looking down in the world, seeing what everyone did and punishing those who did wrong. There were different Gods who favoured different types of behaviours. Over times, these morphed into the religions we have today - with the main single "God" of Christianity, Islam, Judaism etc and the other religions. Again, whether you are Christian or Bhuddist, much of religion is about controlling populations - to be a good neighbour to to reach enlightenment, it's all about driving populations to mainly be "good social citizens". With a bit of "good fodder for war" thrown in when it suited the powers that be.

And a huge part of the force that drove this social control was "God can see everything you are doing, so you better be good".

How, we have a technological solution where people really CAN see everything you are doing. And China are using this technological solution just like religions do - to try and coerce their populations into being "good citizens".

For the avoidance of doubt - the fact that China is doing this scares the hell out of me and I do not think its a good thing.

But.

What do we have right now in the secular west? The fear of God barely exists in much of the West (save a big chunk of the USA) and we have money as the alternative control. Money is our God. If you have money, you are good and can do what you like and have what you like. Better healthcare, better education, more holidays. If you are poor you can't. You die young. You have less fun. So now we are controlled by money. Nobody worries about invisible people watching what you are doing any more, so rich gits with lots of money get to be assholes without controls (that banker who killed the indonesian maids in HK, for example). The law catches some of them. But what about the rich assholes who are just antisocial gits? They break no laws but they break down society. The people who told lies about Brexit. The people on Geoexpat who expound crap just for fun. There is no longer any "all-see power" which encourages people to be "good".

So now China has an all-seeing power. And that's not the problem. The problem is their definition of "good" - which includes things that we would probably agree should be in the definition, and also a hell of a lot that we probably all agree should not.

So let's break the problem down.

Is the problem the "all-seeing system", or is the problem that it's in China's hands?

Would something like this be interesting in the West as a secondary form of control? Would there perhaps be advantage in the rich banker who insults people online or kicks dogs being banned from booking airline tickets? Would here perhaps be advantages in the poor nurse who spends her life helping others getting some "social credit" for that action rather than living in poverty despite being a good person? (Yes, I'm stereotyping to make a point).

I don't believe in God. I'm an economic consultant but don't think money is the only thing that should guide society. What else is there? For debate.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun
    Mine is minus 55 - I am so proud!