Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree13Likes

Eat With Your Family - 4 Times A Year

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Came across this while reading a random article about the being Singaporean.

What happens on other days of the week / month / year?

Eat With Your Family Day | Centre for Fathering Ltd

Partner's employer does this. What a f***** up society we've created.

In the mean time, in HK, you could get evicted from housing estates for cooking late.

Apparently, the restriction came in April after some residents were accused of cooking in the middle of the night, and the estate office received two complaints about noise. The warning notice about cooking has since been taken down. Still, the Housing Authority had abused the penalty points system in forcing the rule on residents in the first place.

It had also overlooked the needs of grass-roots residents. Many of them work till late in the night, before they can rest and eat. To them, a restriction on late-night cooking would be outrageous, even heartless.
    https://www.scmp.com/comment/insight...-night-cooking

Bonus...

In a separate case, which is under judicial review, the Housing Authority evicted an 80-year-old woman diagnosed with dementia from a subsidised flat. Apparently, the widow no longer answered her door because she had a fear of strangers. She stopped cooking, using the washing machine and taking hot showers, because she had simplified her daily routine. She also temporarily moved to her son’s place from late last year to early this year. For all of the above reasons, her use of water and electricity was low – but the Housing Authority used the meter readings as evidence that she had failed to maintain continuous residence for three months and terminated her tenancy.
    I think I can deal with going home early 4 times a year over ^^^^^^
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

What does "grass-roots" residents mean? It's one of those beloved English words in Hong Kong that doesn't make much sense in the English language I know, like the word "besides" or "would"...

To me it's a bit ironic that such a noisy society would be so keen on official punishment of noise.

angeluscomplex likes this.

In this case it means that they get stepped on a lot.

Elegiaque and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque
    What does "grass-roots" residents mean? It's one of those beloved English words in Hong Kong that doesn't make much sense in the English language I know, like the word "besides" or "would"...

To me it's a bit ironic that such a noisy society would be so keen on official punishment of noise.

innit, though.

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    Like most HK employers would give a flying fcuk about something like family.
    Or eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque

Irony indeed.
    TheBrit likes this.

Oh fine, like essays that read "In this essay, I would explain the differences between..." -- not the correct usage of would...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2