• Depends who gave me the 50%

12 50.00%
  • Other

4 16.67%
Like Tree32Likes

Can you help me test a theory?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I would construe another case if its just the behavioral psychological aspect you are interested in.
    For some reason flying is a too complicated issue for most people.

C for me, but I guess that does not help the problem. So if there would be only A and B I would go for A.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Honestly who cares. Im sure you can figure it out.

Wouldn't be flying to the states again, even if someone paid 100% to fly in business class!

But to answer your question, I would choose other - why don't they pay 100% of the fare, since they are asking you to travel.

HK_Katherine likes this.

The particular use-case I was debating last night was about a flight so I was trying to stick as close as possible. Although I've debated the same point with the same guy before on other examples. He's an economist (not a behavioural economist) and while I have no qualifications I lean much more strongly to a behavioural economics view of the world. Which requires test subjects to answer questions! Thanks everyone. I don't always get answers from Geo, but I do always get insights .

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Wouldn't be flying to the states again, even if someone paid 100% to fly in business class!

But to answer your question, I would choose other - why don't they pay 100% of the fare, since they are asking you to travel.
    Because they don't need you to travel. It's a case where the person wants to travel and the other person may gain some minor benefit but doesn't actually need it to occur.

B- I'm still going to buy based on what is convenient for me - ie. schedules and airline loyalty points/miles.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I haven't seen this in Kahnemans work but I'm thinking it may be the same question as "why do shops offer 50 percent discounts". Which is more likely to have been studied.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster:
    Honestly who cares. Im sure you can figure it out.
    I care because I design policy for a living and good policy requires a good understanding of how people behave. For decades policy has been based on pure economics and I'm sure you can see examples of how it fails when people "see the problem" differently to others . (Example - UK Poll Tax, but many less famous ones). Understanding behavioural drivers is as least as important in my view. It's becoming much more well known. The two guys Brit mentioned above being leading lights. But there is still a long way to go.

This is an interesting article on the subject
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...arketeers/amp/
    Last edited by HK_Katherine; 14-12-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Because they don't need you to travel. It's a case where the person wants to travel and the other person may gain some minor benefit but doesn't actually need it to occur.
    Before you said he needs to travel to US for some reason.
    So what's is the actual set-up ?

I would spend more on the ticket if it does not hurt the donor's financial situation.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    So what you really meant was C, given your first sentence?