Like Tree44Likes

Schools or Universities/Colleges?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Um we didn't know he was 23 until afterwards, which is why I asked his age to check my understanding. Calm down. Do Americans never make fun of UK English, of course they do.
    The comment that leads this thread is the original one from @emx where he responds to the guy's age being 23 with "so he was going to university not school"

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    The comment that leads this thread is the original one from @emx where he responds to the guy's age being 23 with "so he was going to university not school"
    And this thread is some of the posts lifted from another thread. It therefore misses out some of the earlier posts. Not just language that confuses then

[My favourite is an Australian friend saying to me he went into a posh bar and was surprised to see all the men wearing "thongs". Not a nice image if you are a Brit.]
    HK_Katherine and Mrs. Jones like this.

if the case the OP who mention this aspect of describing school as university, while it's an education insitute, in British English, University are not really descibed as schools, however, the chinese name convention (which the japanese borrow/follow) for describing education institutes via their levels is ?? (university)??? (secondary)? ?? (primary)? ??? (nursery), so if the case that the OP is a chinese speaker, it's possible they were factually incorrect if they using the chinese naming convention and translated to english, then it's a honesy mistake.

shri and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Non Brits telling Brits what they say in the UK is weird though.
    But Brits telling non-Brits what they should say elsewhere is not weird?

I'd like to point out that in other languages, university is also considered a school. If you look at a list of France's top 50 universities, you will see almost half called Ecole, Ecole Superieure or Grande Ecole (literally: Great School) rather than 'university'.

As to someone's confusion, as mentioned, the poster mentioned 23 in quoting the OP, a little old for high school... what?
    Yes, there's no right or wrong in national usage, but chastising foreigners for deemed improper use of their own language?
    When in Rome... (or Paris, or HK).
    Last edited by TigerSun; 13-03-2019 at 10:55 AM.
    Skyhook, shri and Jaz Paul like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun

I'd like to point out that in other languages, university is also considered a school. If you look at a list of France's top 50 universities, you will see almost half called Ecole, Ecole Superieure or Grande Ecole (literally: Great School) rather than 'university'.

"The Grandes coles are highly selective, elite, and prestigious institutions; their graduates have dominated upper levels of the private and public sectors of French society for decades."

As to someone's confusion, as mentioned, we already knew he was 23, a little old for high school.
    Yes, there's no right or wrong in national usage, but chastising foreigners for deemed improper use of their own language?
    No the fact he was 23 appeared later.

Chastising? No Brits should not tell others what to say, except in jest and that works both ways. Australians never take the piss out of poms? Of course they do and that is great.

It was an honest confusion in different terminology, no idea why people are getting so worked up. Should I get upset when I hear an American refer to a fanny bag? No but I will snigger. Should Americans get upset when I ask for a fag? No but they will laugh. Enjoy and celebrate the differences.
    imparanoic and HK_Katherine like this.

As to someone's confusion, as mentioned, the poster mentioned 23 in quoting the OP, a little old for high school... what?
    in france, you don't have quarter pounder name in macdonalds as they don't use imperial units, apparant called 'cheese royale', similarly, quarter pounder is HK macdonalds is called ' full three taels" ( ??? / juk sam leung ) in chinese as full three taels weight wise is similar to quarter of a pound.

every place has different naming conventions

I ain't no foriegner in UK, i was born there and lived there (in good olde brum) for almost 30 years, but there again, moving in to HK from 07, i ain't no foriegner in HK either.

Wow you guys must be really bored!

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    I ain't no foriegner in UK, i was born there and lived there (in good olde brum) for almost 30 years, but there again, moving in to HK from 07, i ain't no foriegner in HK either.
    Perhaps I will stay clear of comments about the Brum accent
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White
    Wow you guys must be really bored!
    But I thought you were into Bored Games.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast