Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
Perhaps. But didn't the UK also use pupil and student for school and post school students?

It would appear to be more precise to use school, college and university exclusively for what they actually are.
I think calling school children "students" is a more recent thing, always used to be "pupils". Perhaps with the expansion of sixth form (A level) numbers?