Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Schools or Universities/Colleges?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,612

    Schools or Universities/Colleges?

    Quote Originally Posted by khelenak
    My boyfriend is a student and he takes MTR to school.
    Quote Originally Posted by khelenak
    He's 23...
    So he was going to a University, not a school perhaps?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    7,326
    Quote Originally Posted by emx
    So he was going to a University, not a school perhaps?
    Unless the definition of school has recently changed, university is a school.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    9,470
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun
    Unless the definition of school has recently changed, university is a school.
    Nobody in the UK would ever call a University a "School". College maybe, but never, ever "school". That's a word exclusively reserved for a place with little kids in it. I realise that "school" is a common word for university in North America, but not sure it's common anywhere else. I think Australia/NZ follow UK for example.

    It is one of those easy ways to confuse someone!
    emx likes this.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,598
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    Nobody in the UK would ever call a University a "School". College maybe, but never, ever "school".
    London "School" of Economics

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    157

    No-one who went to the London School of Economics says that they went to school in the London School of Economics

    That was clearly where they went to university.

    They went to school in Bognor Regis High School.

    Well actually they probably didn't, but that is a different story.


  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    19,651
    Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge
    No-one who went to the London School of Economics says that they went to school in the London School of Economics

    That was clearly where they went to university.

    They went to school in Bognor Regis High School.

    Well actually they probably didn't, but that is a different story.
    Agreed. The only time "school" is used in the UK is as a faculty of a university such as the Business School.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    7,326
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    Nobody in the UK would ever call a University a "School". College maybe, but never, ever "school". That's a word exclusively reserved for a place with little kids in it. I realise that "school" is a common word for university in North America, but not sure it's common anywhere else. I think Australia/NZ follow UK for example.

    It is one of those easy ways to confuse someone!
    The poster was correcting a Chinese speaker as to an error in usage.
    It might be an error in London but not especially in Hong Kong.

    There are a 1/4 million Canadians here and many Americans and for us, university is simply another school and we can figure out the context of its use without confusion. When a engineer asks an accountant where he went to school, we know he's not talking about kindergarten.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pokfulam; office in Central
    Posts
    261

    Some business, dental and law schools are independent professional schools not attached to any universities. Let's not quibble and try to help Khelanak instead.


  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    7,326
    Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge
    No-one who went to the London School of Economics says that they went to school in the London School of Economics
    "I went the London School of Economics"
    - Christine Graham
    - Satash Chakrabarty
    - Edwina Currie
    - Arzoo Syeddah
    and many more... Google is your friend.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    19,651
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun
    "I went the London School of Economics"
    - Christine Graham
    - Satash Chakrabarty
    - Edwina Currie
    - Arzoo Syeddah
    and many more... Google is your friend.
    Yes the LSE, but they would still say they went to University at the London School of Economics.

    For once though I agree with mlew.

Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast