Like Tree15Likes

Hollywood actors, CEOs charged in US college admissions scandal

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Must be nice to have enough cash on hand to just give it to a foundation without doing any significant due diligence.

A statement released overnight by Vincent Law, a partner at Mayer Brown in Hong Kong said his client gave the money to Rick Singer's foundation in 2017 after her family used his consulting services and her daughter got into the school. The attorney's statement identified the mother only as Mrs Zhao and did not provide her full name.

It said the sum was paid because she was led to believe the money would go toward helping underprivileged students.

The mother said Singer had asked her to make the donation and told her that it would support academic staff salaries, scholarships, athletic programs and "helping those students who otherwise will not be able to afford to attend Stanford".

"Since the matters concerning Mr Singer and his foundation have been widely reported, Mrs Zhao has come to realise she has been misled, her generosity has been taken advantage of, and her daughter has fallen victim to the scam," said the statement.
    https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...9-20190503.htm
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Right, she was donating the money purely to underprivileged students with no thought to how it would help her daughter.

If my parents had HK 50 million, I would just go to any "lesser-known" university and ask them to give me the money to invest. I think I could manage better with HK 50 million than a Stanford diploma. I'll get by with University of North Dakota diploma plus 50 million.

Last edited by MABinPengChau; 03-05-2019 at 06:17 PM.

So, up until now I thought entry into Stan was purely based on your level of intelligence and academic performances. Disappointed much.

The old man is US XXbillionaire, . Very little is beyond his economic reach. Of course like many wealthy people he left his moral standing long, long ago. My personal experience, in china, is that there everything has a money value so he was acting perfectly normal, according to chinese society norms.
    And 1% of a billion is only 10 million. He paid a small peanut to give his kid a 'big face' in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01
    So, up until now I thought entry into Stan was purely based on your level of intelligence and academic performances. Disappointed much.
    Are you being serious?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Are you being serious?
    Very.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin
    The old man is US XXbillionaire, . Very little is beyond his economic reach. Of course like many wealthy people he left his moral standing long, long ago. My personal experience, in china, is that there everything has a money value so he was acting perfectly normal, according to chinese society norms.
    And 1% of a billion is only 10 million. He paid a small peanut to give his kid a 'big face' in the world.
    Wow... As if the money buys everything was a chinese thing...Let me remind you that most of the people involved in this scandal are NOT chinese and it's an american university.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01

You do know that George Bush jr attended Yale right?

There are also 300 athletic scholarships awarded every year.

The best and the brightest alongside the richest and most connected. Number one reason to attend those unis is not the education but the connections and recognition.

I liked my uni because no athletic scholarships, no legacy admissions (admit because parent went there), no music scholarships, and, for that matter, not even academic scholarships because all the students were highly qualified so they didn't want to pick among them.

It is one school I can say was pretty much all academic merit (and maybe if you did some outside academic activities like Science Fairs and such).

And this is why my daughter only applied to schools in the UK, she didn't like all the building of resumes to get into unis based on starting an international charity, working at soup kitchens, having 5 sports team memberships, etc.

chuckster007 and shri like this.

Gullible University professor suggests Mrs Zhao as as candidate for mother of the year as clearly paying a non-employee of the University a huge bribe was OK as it might possibly, perhaps, maybe find its way to poor students.

https://www.scmp.com/comment/insight...dent-yusi-zhao

Paying a bribe for your kid to take the place of a more deserving student and potentially ruining their life chances is a terrible thing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast