Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9
Like Tree107Likes

Sea views?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy
    Besides the 3 roadside stations (and compared to other cities that don't have as many dense high rises), is it possible that the government's AQI numbers are off due to the machines being placed on rooftops (which would get less roadside pollution)?

EPD - Air Quality Monitoring Stations

Not really. The Meguro measuring station sits on top of city hall. Not next to the road. We could probably put a measuring station inside a bus terminus, have alarming levels all the time, and all all freak out by getting purple readings all day. But is that a good way to measure?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    I can taste HK air much of the time. And it doesn't taste good.
    Ah, is that how one measures pollution? Taste buds. Hmmm.

What are you going to tell me next? Headaches perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark
    The air where I live in HK on Monday was unhealthy, I know because it gives me a headache.
    Oh.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark
    Except you're comparing 7 million people city to what 40-50 million.
    Yes, only 7 million people live in this region.

While I want to believe that clear sky means low pollution, sometimes I do find contradictory facts that suggest it might not always be the case.

I noticed that, for almost all my trips to Japan (tokyo/osaka), that usually within 2~3 hours after landing and heading downtown, my nose starts clogging up and I get the urge to dig those stuffs out. I don't have such an issue in Singapore or HK.

Don't ask me why... I don't have an answer.. maybe its because of cold weather ? the high number of smokers ?

civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier
    While I want to believe that clear sky means low pollution, sometimes I do find contradictory facts that suggest it might not always be the case.

I noticed that, for almost all my trips to Japan (tokyo/osaka), that usually within 2~3 hours after landing and heading downtown, my nose starts clogging up and I get the urge to dig those stuffs out. I don't have such an issue in Singapore or HK.

Don't ask me why... I don't have an answer.. maybe its because of cold weather ? the high number of smokers ?
    this could be specific allergies. HK has way more smokers and you get more second hand smoke than anywhere. In Japan you can only smoke in designated areas outside.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier

This sounds like personal allergies or a preference for higher humidity. I'm allergic to places with fresh air and nature- Australia and Canada mess me up pretty badly, what with all their pesky plant life and non-concrete parks scattered inconsiderately throughout their cities.

I'm good with high humidity and industrial pollution though- my asthma pretty much vanished when I moved to Hong Kong.
    Plutark likes this.

Just had a look out my window:

Name:  20190327_145646-resized.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  108.3 KB

Yup, definitely no pollution issue here.

TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nickvv
    Just had a look out my window:

Name:  20190327_145646-resized.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  108.3 KB

Yup, definitely no pollution issue here.
    It's mist
    HK_Katherine and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    This sounds like personal allergies or a preference for higher humidity. I'm allergic to places with fresh air and nature- Australia and Canada mess me up pretty badly, what with all their pesky plant life and non-concrete parks scattered inconsiderately throughout their cities.

I'm good with high humidity and industrial pollution though- my asthma pretty much vanished when I moved to Hong Kong.
    'Allergic to fresh air and nature'

I always found it amusing and sad that HK parks are full of concrete. Seems a contradiction in terms to me. I want grass and trees in my parks. Plenty of concrete everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Why do you feel the need to lie to everyone else then?
    I have been doing a little bit of work with a Swiss Air Purification measuring company. They would suggest most governments that lack political accountability 'game' the results. They have many many data points from around the world. In Asia South Korea and Japan probably stand out from the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    It's mist
    Or perhaps a Photochromic lens on the camera to take the bright crisp colours away to help people sleep.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9