Like Tree21Likes

Does anyone know how to search google more precisely?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Original Post:
    Bloody hell. I don't use a Mac and don't understand your question. But a quick search "Mac powerpoint templates personal not mine" loops me straight back to this page
    You're welcome!

Quote Original Post:
    To answer your question - the more precise your search, the better your answer.

I often add "site:.hk" or site:.gov.hk to narrow down searches. I also use the "-" operator to ensure that keywords are not included in the search. Adding "'s around a term will ensure that the term in "s exists on the page (bypasses a fair bit of google black magic).

Finally, the best result for your search might be ["template name" mac office powerpoint] ..
    Well that told me that they are indeed Office stock templates. Adding "how to remove" at the front of the search however yielded nothing .

Quote Original Post:
    I like the irony within this post...

It purposefully didn't ask people to search "how to fix a Powerpoint template".
    But it did ask people to search "how to do a search".
    Have you tried googling "how to fix a powerpoint template"? It gives you answers onto how to fix a powerpoint template. Since that's not my problem - my problem is that a bunch of templates exist that I DID NOT CREATE and cannot get rid of - it did not solve the problem. Try googling "how to get rid of unwanted powerpoint template" and see how useful that is. (It's not, it tells you how to remove templates you already created, not random ones that appear out of thin air). Believe me, I tried everything obvious before coming on here.

Quote Original Post:
    You're being country-targeted by Google.

If you go to their "No Country Redirect" link then search again, the results will be different: https://www.google.com/ncr
    Cool! I did not know that. Explains a lot.

Maybe try the google advanced search function. That gives you options to include or omit certain words/ search criteria. More like a boolean search made easy. Hope this helps.

Quote Original Post:
    Bloody hell. I don't use a Mac and don't understand your question. But a quick search "Mac powerpoint templates personal not mine" loops me straight back to this page

Attachment 77358
    Lightshot screenshot tool?

Nice

Quote Original Post:
    I have seen people on here find the most amazing information, so I thought I would ask.

I am trying to figure out why my Mac copy of PowerPoint has so many crap templates in my "personal" area which are not mine, not personal, and not in the directory that this setting supposedly looks at.

So I go online and try searching for information, and get pages and pages and pages of standard "how to do templates in PPT" or any number of other pieces of information vaguely related to the question, but nothing at all close to what I want to know.

I think the problem is that I cannot specify the question in a way that avoids all sorts of other crap coming up, and things like "powerpoint", "templates" and "personal" are just too generic.

(Our IT support has no clue). For the avoidance of doubt, I know how to use templates and I know how to tell Mac and Office where to look for user files, it's just that these things are not in those areas. It's just bizarre. I cannot be the only person on the planet with the question so somewhere out there I am sure there is a solution!

Anyone else any ideas on how to search?
    Need to find the location of these templates first.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Search string

mac powerpoint location of templates

Result

Unless you select a different location, the template is saved in /Users/username/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Templates. To change where Word automatically saves your templates, on the Word menu, click Preferences, and then under Personal Settings, click File Locations

Go to this folder and see what's present. If you cannot find something and believe you are in the correct folder then show hidden files, can also search that too.

If you provide screenshots can advise on next steps.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Thanks for the suggestions. Finding them was a good start. We operate off Dropbox and somebody (a non Mac user) had clearly synchronised a Word version of some themes into the company's "company template only" folder (but hidden, under about 6 layers of subfolders). For some reason that we still don't know, only Macs found these hidden templates - all the PC users were not affected. It was bizarre. Then every time we deleted it dropbox copied it back again because it was coming from someone else's computer... so now my IT guy has set up a macro to delete it automatically. (because sometimes that's easier than getting our staff to toe the line on what they sync to dropbox!)

MandM! likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast