Like Tree174Likes

Why do people need helpers?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    The current administration is surely to blame. Plenty of chances to improve the system but no changes in 20+ years.
    The current administration shares the blame with all the ones that preceded. They did not institute the system, like most things in HK, they are resistant to change and in this case, it's at the very bottom of the list as there are absolutely no incentive. This would go against the government interest, the population's interest to favor a group of foreigners that everyone is more than happy to exploit. In fact, they have expanded to other countries perhaps because the ones from the Philippines are proving to be slightly more difficult and less pliable than from other countries. The poorer and the less educated the better... Easier to exploit, less trouble, less complaint. You have probably more chances of seeing an independent HK than a one where DH are treated with equal rights.
    Kowloon Goon and mlew like this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    Why is it idiotic?

If the problem of being a helper is sharer non private accommodations, long hours, and 1 day off a week - that’s not only something helpers experience.

If the problem of being a helper is that they’re abused - then the HK government needs to change laws to punish bad employers more harshly and allow helpers to change jobs without having to leave immediately. It should also allow families willing to pay a certain amount per month - whatever it calculates as the cost of living - to let their helpers live out.

HK government is failing families with children and elderly, that’s why people have helpers. Rich people in every country have household help, middle class and working class usually don’t because they have government services or the industry is less regulated eg childminders, in home day care so it can be affordable for normal people.
    I have heard about poor conditions for DH, but to be honest I have never seen it. Most of what I have seen have a separate maids quarters with 2-3 bedrooms, living room and private bath. Yes they are smaller but plenty of them were nicer than my first flat here in HK. For those with smaller flats, their helper lived out.

Too much generalizing that treatment to all DH is bad. Geez bringing back some memories of bad employment experiences that I have faced in the past here in HK. Can I cry wolf too?

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    I have heard about poor conditions for DH, but to be honest I have never seen it. Most of what I have seen have a separate maids quarters with 2-3 bedrooms, living room and private bath. Yes they are smaller but plenty of them were nicer than my first flat here in HK. For those with smaller flats, their helper lived out.

Too much generalizing that treatment to all DH is bad. Geez bringing back some memories of bad employment experiences that I have faced in the past here in HK. Can I cry wolf too?
    Because you live in a different world to most people as you have shown repeatedly. Your world is not the family living on HKD 30,000 or less and employing a helper. Yes there are many that are treated well, some very very well. Unfortunately there are more that are not.

Did your bad employment experiences involve physical abuse? Sexual abuse? Verbal abuse? Being refused food? Sleeping on the floor? No full days off? Not allowed to speak to anyone? Subject to a curfew?

Name:  Screenshot_20190409-065904.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  710.2 KB

Where the western world aid budgets have only entrenched poverty and corruption, DHs are taking matters into their own hands

Quote Originally Posted by Golem
    The current administration shares the blame with all the ones that preceded.
    No, they are to blame. The world moves on but the CCP led executive in HK does not look to improve the social aspect in a global context. There has been ample time to enact better legislation but the longer nothing is done the worse it becomes. You can only really blame the current administration