Like Tree34Likes

Curing the gay (and trans, and bi and everything else)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Curing the gay (and trans, and bi and everything else)

Reading the Duterte thread about Duterte curing himself of being gay, made me think. I know real gay people can't be cured. But gay is now more than gay, it's also GLBT, and I do wonder about some of those people.

It seems like there is something of a "fashion" to be "something other than just male or female". I rather struggle with the notion that these people were always this way and that they have just discovered they can talk about it... particularly when many of these people are impressionable youth who are likely to try all sorts of stuff before they figure life out.

This is not intended to be an "anti gay" or "anti trans" thread - but this kind of question has been pushed under the carpet. We now have to accept people can choose to be whatever they like. How far does it go?

So - just wondering - what do other think?

I don't understand the gender pronouns lol.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    But gay is now more than gay, it's also GLBT, and I do wonder about some of those people.
    People haven't changed just the need to label and be labelled and the labels to be right for them?

It really is a sphere of sexulality rather than a just a spectrum as there is also importance of sexuality layered on top of the very complex underneath.
    HK_Katherine and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    We now have to accept people can choose to be whatever they like.
    Who says we do have to accept that? We don't have to accommodate people's mental illnesses. And that's what all those new, fun, "pronoun of the week" sexualities are, a mental illness. I have no problem with same sex or identifying trans as their "new" gender, but everything else just bullshit made up by bored teens on Tumblr.
    We as a society seem to attach to much weight to fads on social media, maybe it's because real news cost money and regurgitating someone's tweets doesn't.

For the outside world (non-gay), it's just gay or not. For within the gay community, people perhaps describe their role to more easily find their match? I think it's very difficult for women who are gay, I have one friend who is and she's always talking about some drama.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    For the outside world (non-gay), it's just gay or not. For within the gay community, people perhaps describe their role to more easily find their match? I think it's very difficult for women who are gay, I have one friend who is and she's always talking about some drama.
    You have not heard of bisexual?

I am not sure you can generalise millions from one friend.

People should be able to label themselves any way they want. People should be able to identify any way they want without discrimination.

It is not as straightforward as gay or not gay.

East_coast and Gatts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    People should be able to label or not themselves any way they want. People should be able to identify any way they want without discrimination.

It is not as straightforward as gay or not gay.
    Absolutely. Fully agree.

I would also suggest people don't have to learn all the labels if they are happy to let people be who they want to be.

https://www.callmeharlot.com/all-lea...ck-the-acronym
    Gatts likes this.

I'd never heard of asexual before. But I can appreciate that (like most things) there is a complete spectrum. I'm still not entirely convinced however that a fair bit of what we hear is just kids trying to make noise.

markranson likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast