Like Tree18Likes

What search engines work in China without vpn

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Microsoft search tools work in China. Try:

Bing

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Im going to Shanghai this afternoon and Google works for me with my HK sim card (China mobile and Smartone). Only $238/month for 10gb of data that can be used in HK/China and 40 other Asian countries without any roaming charges. When I get to the hotel I usually find the wifi useless without Google etc so switch on my mobile hotspot.
    i was in the Shangri-la in Shenzhen recently and discovered that all things google worked fine with no VPN. It felt like it was HK internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    i was in the Shangri-la in Shenzhen recently and discovered that all things google worked fine with no VPN. It felt like it was HK internet.
    Same at the Xi'an Ritz Carlton, but shhh... they pay a lot for that and it's a definite grey area. Doubt any Beijing or Shanghai hotel could get away with it (or at least I haven't found one yet).

I also second bing. You'll have a choice to "switch to international search" once on the page. It's still not Google, but results are definitely more useful than in "domestic mode".
    Morrison likes this.

Keep in mind that Bing in China will filter (censor) some results, due to "local laws".

I always found it funny when Google got a bunch of heat for their Dragonfly project, while Microsoft has been using a censored version of Bing for years and no one says anything...

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher:
    Just use a VPN owned by China like ExpressVPN
    I thought they have to be compliant with China rules and report anything suspicious to the authorities from their users.

We find ExpressVPN just as useful in Hong Kong as in China, e.g. for watching UK-only TV programmes on the BBC iPlayer (using a UK server) or Google.com instead of Google.com.hk or Google.co.uk for comparing US and UK mail order prices (using a US server).

Does anyone know a way to VPN back into Chinese Internet? Or I suppose a Mainland SIM card might be the best way?

sougou somehow worked better than bing for me during my last china trip.

Quote Originally Posted by tparker:
    Does anyone know a way to VPN back into Chinese Internet? Or I suppose a Mainland SIM card might be the best way?
    Use Shadowsocks, You'll have a full speed up/down

Quote Originally Posted by PBPBPBPB:
    We find ExpressVPN just as useful in Hong Kong as in China, e.g. for watching UK-only TV programmes on the BBC iPlayer (using a UK server) or Google.com instead of Google.com.hk or Google.co.uk for comparing US and UK mail order prices (using a US server).
    You can use google.com/ncr (ncr stands for No Country Redirect) to prevent defaulting to .com.hk