Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By drumbrake
  • 1 Post By imparanoic
  • 2 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By GentleGeorge

Best things of 2019

Closed Thread

Best things of 2019

2019 was a news filled year. But what were the good news stories?

For me the explosion of paper straw use.

What got better in 2019?

music wise, Anima by Thom Yorke was decent, but Amo by Bring me the Horizon was (IMO) best album of 2019, Norman F@#$ing Rockwell is also very decent (got told off my wife for the explicit language of the song titles when i played it in the car, esp when my 7 year old son kept asking about it).

Game wise, 2019 is definitely a vintage year for games, masterpieces including Resident evil 2 remake is an excellent survival horror genre even though it's rather gory game, Death Stranding is a masterpiece which redefines modern gaming, even though it's rather arty and quite hard to understand within it's complex story underpinning the awesome gameplay, red dead redemption 2 is a best seller with really good gameplay, the visuals are awesome, dragon quest 11s is a updated masterpiece for the switch, sekiro: shadows dies twice on ps4 and xbox one is another master piece set in feudal japan, but it's rather hard to play.

irisboards likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    2019 was a news filled year. But what were the good news stories?

For me the explosion of paper straw use.

What got better in 2019?
    Really? Plastic straws being used as a symbol of virtuousness by middle-class hipsters is your good news story of the year? Each to their own, but would like to suggest maybe reading outside of the plastic straw bubble, facts can be helpful in making meaningful change.

If we are talking environment, I was very happy to see the European Parliament rejecting the unscientific findings of its own fact-less Environment committee, and voting to declare that "nuclear energy can play a role in meeting climate objectives because it does not emit greenhouse gases".

Perhaps facts & evidence can reassert themselves in 2020 and progress can start to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Really? Plastic straws being used as a symbol of virtuousness by middle-class hipsters is your good news story of the year?
    Yes, a symbolic kickback to single use plastic that has been readily accepted by all. It hopefully shows law makers that plastic can be regulated with minimal fuss

Name:  A8rwFKvIEnHW4etiVdbuRFpDct7sWaoFnBu7JiP1yaM.png
Views: 67
Size:  66.0 KB

I think 2019 was also a record year for afforestation and reforestation.

For the record, I've tried to reply to this thread about 4 times. And each time the post takes a negative / snarky turn. Will have to dig deeper to find some "good" news in terms of global or local news which is good for the society and has also affected me / the family positively.

Hopefully find something positive before the end of the year.

East_coast and njain like this.

Beneath the headlines, 2019 was the first year that I felt we might be reaching an inflection point on dealing with climate change.

Increased awareness (thanks Greta) but also massive increases in solar capacity and offshore wind globally (we have a lot to thank China for here), collapsing prices for new renewable installments thanks to auctions and other market-mechanisms for pricing, electrification of the motor industry ramping up (Tesla, BYD), disinvestment in the oil industry, etc.

More to do of course, but five years ago even thinking about it got me into a deep funk, now I'm guardedly hopeful.

njain likes this.