Like Tree17Likes

Twitter vs Trump

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    Yes/No
    "If the police officer has a conscience, please turn yourself in. An eye for an eye"

Perhaps but as the poster is suggesting the person turns themselves in it is surely more probable they mean proportionately equivalent punishment not literally the same punishment. I don't think they were suggesting the judicial system should be handing out blinding as a punishment.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/...or-an-eye.html

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    "If the police officer has a conscience, please turn yourself in. An eye for an eye"

Perhaps but as the poster is suggesting the person turns themselves in it is surely more probable they mean proportionately equivalent punishment not literally the same punishment. I don't think they were suggesting the judicial system should be handing out blinding as a punishment.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/...or-an-eye.html
    Eh? I know that she wasn't trying to incite violence... my point is that she was one of the people who was arrested for 'inciting violence'...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    Eh? I know that she wasn't trying to incite violence... my point is that she was one of the people who was arrested for 'inciting violence'...
    She wasn't arrested for inciting violence. "If the police officer has a conscience, please turn yourself in. An eye for an eye" was seen as seditious.

Yes there are privileges to being head of state but that should not include what you write on Social Media.
    hope this link works
    a more nuanced read

They are publishers.
    They claim they aren't publishers and Trump's executive order is about declaring them publishers. That would come with legal liability for the things they publish, which the social media sites are trying to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    They claim they aren't publishers and Trump's executive order is about declaring them publishers. That would come with legal liability for the things they publish, which the social media sites are trying to avoid.
    They are publishers.

The Communications Decency Act, Section 230, does not consider internet sites like Twitter to be publishers. It in fact immunizes social media sites / forums from prosecution for any content posted by users. This does not mean the sites can ignore lawful subpoenas for IP addresses by prosecutors.

TigerSun likes this.

They are publishers.
    Ummm... sort of. Any realistic assessment would say they are obviously in the biz of publishing. However, in the U.S. they have a special 'get-out-of-jail-free' card - " Section 230".

https://www.do-op.com/2018/12/13/soc...ms-publishers/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4