Like Tree23Likes

Buying a mini PC from banggood

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Isn't it great when someone decides to come on here, basically tell you you are an idiot for wanting something and then tells you what you should do without asking if perhaps, you would like other suggestions... Might be technically proficient with some technology but EQ... well that's another thing.

Quote Originally Posted by David4Maths:
    But for the same money you can buy an Android mobile phone that does the same thing and kill two birds with one stone.
    See our friend Price.com.hk or cruise the mall in Argyle Street Mong Kok East.
    thanks.

I have a dozen USB 3.0 hard drives, mostly 500 GB in size. They are NTFS formatted.

I use those drives to store a bunch of mp4 video, 95% of which are under 4GB in size--meaning some of those files are over 4GB in size

I will use the mini PC to bittorrent as well.

If Android 11 can read/write files over 4GB in size, I will likely buy a machine running android.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    Isn't it great when someone decides to come on here, basically tell you you are an idiot for wanting something and then tells you what you should do without asking if perhaps, you would like other suggestions... Might be technically proficient with some technology but EQ... well that's another thing.
    Check your dictionary for the word "Proactive".
    At least the person didn't just criticise with no alternative but used what experience they had to give advise ( that does not have to be taken ) using non offensive metaphor, unless your a 3 legged horse owner in which case I apologise to you.However,t no doubt some might think that one should just be mute at every opportunity.

EQ ?? Give me a break ..............................................

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:
    I am only using it for web browsing with Chrome (with around 10 to 15 tabs) and watching mp4 videos (90% of which are in H.264) in 1080p stored in some external USB 3.0 hard drives.

I think this machine is sufficient for those two tasks.

I think.
    Have you considered some sort of older PC and use Chrome OS? It runs on older hardware fast.
    vmlinuz and nivek2046 like this.

EQ ?? Give me a break ..............................................
    Yes clearly that holds no value to you. However you can look at post #16 on how to interact more positively with other human beings instead of ridiculing the OP before proffering your sage advice... Manners never go out of style

The Raspberry Pi 4 will run anything you throw at it now. With 8GB available as ram it's a star AND with a suitable HAT you can plonk a multi terabyte eMMC on a PCIE bus on it. BUT the posters box is a different beast. the eMMC is a complete waste of space as the rest of the board will throttle it to a performance of a small HDD as I guess it will be SATA connected because why integrate PCIE on a board that cannot take expansion. BUT -- small space so can fit in the box.

No it won't. It is still noticeably laggy when running a GUI in Linux. This is the 4G version, the 8G version isn't going to make any difference. The Pi still isn't a desktop replacement for web browsing, but it's about 95% of the way there. I would not use one for what the OP indicates... because I tried.

Also with 4gb ram you can only run a 32bit installation and Win 10 is going to eat up most of the 64 gb on the MMC. So again ...... what is the point?
    You can (and should) run a 64 bit OS on a system with 4 gigs of RAM.

@nivek2046, this thing strikes me as a bit borderline with the 2 cores. You should be able to get a quad core for about the same though you might have to trade off against stuff like form factor and preinstalled OS (no way would I run the preinstalled OS from a Banggod machine anyway though, just download Win10 and run it unactivated instead)

You're probably going to have to get an SSD stick for this, at some stage you're likely to run out of space on the eMMC storage, so factor that into your cost. Storage speed isn't an issue, it'll be fast enough for what you indicate, but it's not really big enough for much besides the OS. As an indicator, all the similar style of machines that came with 32G eMMC storage have reviews to the effect that the storage runs out so badly that Windows can't even run mandatory updates. I'm guessing this problem is why manufacturers have bumped to 64G instead, but it's still extremely short sighted.

Edit: According to CPU benchmarking sites, my quad core, 6 year old fanless mini PC from Aliexpress is faster than this thing. Cost about the same too, without SSD (cheap) and RAM (peanuts).
    Last edited by jgl; 15-06-2020 at 11:23 AM.
    shri, imparanoic, emx and 1 others like this.

Sorry @jgl but your post is twisting my words and look s like a " I know more than you do" or a dick measuring contest.

I said it will run anything you throw at it now. The fact the some things are laggy does not override the fact that it will run it (codicil - appears so far). Previous versions have failed to run OS types and having some of them I can personally confirm that. Trying to run ported Android on previous RPi can make you want to throw the whole thing on the rubbish tip FYI.

The 64 bit comment is related exclusively to Windows and I thought ( obviously not for some ) that this was made clear. You cannot take advantage of the extra ram needed to EFFECTIVELY run Win 64 bit because a Win 10 installation eats up most of the 4 gb ram and 32 bit is only capable of reading 4gb I have a Lenovo C440 touch, that runs i3 and 4gb out of the box Over time and as it got older running Win10 32bit, the BSoD was a regular visitor. Now with 8Gb and a 64bit Win 10 it has been much happier not running out of ram as it did on 32bit. When it FINALLY arrives ( Aliexpress takes forever ) i it will get an i5 3330s and that should make it purr like a kitten again.

Why say all this? Well I do, basically, all the things the poster does. I do not play games, I use low quality web based CAD CAM. Get TV and Movies on it as a replacement for a TV. So I talk from personal experience and neither care how much more you want to project you know in IT or how long your dick is, thank you very much.

To the poster - there are a million opinions on every subject, but I say from experience doing what you do. Celeron and dual core is there because they cost zero dollars in the market because everyone has moved on. The eMMC makes it look modern but is gagged by everything built around it. The Single Board Computer market is full of better options and these intel celeron boxes are only in the market because lots of people can understand them from their own experience AND they are cheap enough to be a consumable item and not an investment you might make for a more powerful unit. BUT, it is a false economy. REALLY !!!

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:
    I am only using it for web browsing with Chrome (with around 10 to 15 tabs) and watching mp4 videos (90% of which are in H.264) in 1080p stored in some external USB 3.0 hard drives.

I think this machine is sufficient for those two tasks.

I think.
    i doubt it, it will be sluggish on chrome, after 3 -4 tabs, the cpu is as powerful as a mobile phone system on a chip from 2012, let alone 2020, running mp4 with weak cpu and gpu will struggle using 1080p, maybe do able on 720p, even if you find the sluggish performace acceptable at new, give it 12 months with windows update and it will be significant worse

@David4Maths - Reading your post .. and since you brought up the whole penis thing... my TL;DR version of your post is - "My penis is adequate for my needs, it does not need to be as good as yours"... am I right?

For people like me who really do not give a toss about all the nitpicking?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    No it won't. It is still noticeably laggy when running a GUI in Linux. This is the 4G version, the 8G version isn't going to make any difference. The Pi still isn't a desktop replacement for web browsing, but it's about 95% of the way there. I would not use one for what the OP indicates... because I tried.

You can (and should) run a 64 bit OS on a system with 4 gigs of RAM.

@nivek2046, this thing strikes me as a bit borderline with the 2 cores. You should be able to get a quad core for about the same though you might have to trade off against stuff like form factor and preinstalled OS (no way would I run the preinstalled OS from a Banggod machine anyway though, just download Win10 and run it unactivated instead)

You're probably going to have to get an SSD stick for this, at some stage you're likely to run out of space on the eMMC storage, so factor that into your cost. Storage speed isn't an issue, it'll be fast enough for what you indicate, but it's not really big enough for much besides the OS. As an indicator, all the similar style of machines that came with 32G eMMC storage have reviews to the effect that the storage runs out so badly that Windows can't even run mandatory updates. I'm guessing this problem is why manufacturers have bumped to 64G instead, but it's still extremely short sighted.

Edit: According to CPU benchmarking sites, my quad core, 6 year old fanless mini PC from Aliexpress is faster than this thing. Cost about the same too, without SSD (cheap) and RAM (peanuts).
    for HK$2-3000, micro fanless pc, for web browsering, youtube and kids stuff, what do you recommend? i have a spare 24" 1080p monitor and i might use a vesa deskmount to mount the micro pc to the monitor