Like Tree11Likes

50+ Chinese Apps Banned in India

Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    815

    50+ Chinese Apps Banned in India

    Following the border clash, India bans TikTok, WeChat and 57 other apps.
    Apart from TikTok - not sure most of these rank highly in the Indian market?

    Name:  EbsEhaaWsAA9D7O.jpeg
Views: 384
Size:  112.5 KB

    https://twitter.com/ShivAroor/status...19905269989378

    Last edited by shri; 30-06-2020 at 08:02 AM.
    mucaari likes this.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,627

    This will give some idea about top 5, in general lot of these apps were getting rapidly popular and no need to mention Chinese mobile sales as well were growing exponentially in last couple of years.. TikTok has been a trend setter in India..

    https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/76699679.cms


  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    582

    Is this just a few government blowhards mouthing off, or will they actually be able to enforce it?

    China banned Facebook after they decided it was a tool for dissent, but their cyber policing is second to none, and that was much earlier in the current tech boom cycle before smartphones and apps had widespread adoption. Can India realistically block phone apps at will?


  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    20,118
    Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Is this just a few government blowhards mouthing off, or will they actually be able to enforce it?

    China banned Facebook after they decided it was a tool for dissent, but their cyber policing is second to none, and that was much earlier in the current tech boom cycle before smartphones and apps had widespread adoption. Can India realistically block phone apps at will?
    I would think it can force Google and Apple to remove them from the app stores quite easily.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    32,135

    I hope they have local replacements for those apps. We Chat ban will be problematic for people in India doing business with China.


  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I hope they have local replacements for those apps. We Chat ban will be problematic for people in India doing business with China.
    well guess how they are going to cut back on the 13.5B of imports from China...

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    32,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    well guess how they are going to cut back on the 13.5B of imports from China...
    I don't think any major cut backs will happen without some very significant pain in India. Chinese investors are deeply entrenched in the Indian manufacturing / media and technology sectors.
    sunyhk likes this.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,627

    And lately major source for Indian startups across various sectors as well..

    https://qrius.com/chinese-money-is-a...startup-space/


  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14

    The pains will be (and are being) felt on both sides. With the COVID-19 situation and global economy slowing down, both these economies have suffered. This has targeted Tik Tok for its spyware, and rest others are collateral damage.


  10. #10
    bdw
    bdw is online now

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,832

    Xiaomi are shitting their pants at the moment, currently the no 1 smartphone maker in India. But don't worry, they have a plan, they've just erected "Made in India" signs in all their stores to calm the situation.

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/tiffany.../#16b6cefa1ab6


Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast