Like Tree50Likes

Which is your favourite martial arts film?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Best Kung Fu in backyard

https://youtu.be/eQYvsaEmCio

greenmark likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    OOOH... This and its sequel, where a roofer at the Shaolin temple invents "Scaffolding Kung Fu" through observation of the monks below him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return...e_36th_Chamber
    I loved the first one but didn’t get this one at all. It was like a remake with weird comedy added.

A great list by Sith. Not much else to add except I love House of Flying Daggers.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mused:
    I loved the first one but didn’t get this one at all. It was like a remake with weird comedy added.<br>
    <br>
    A great list by Sith. Not much else to add except I love House of Flying Daggers.
    I should also add another one I like is Jet Li's wuxia epic Swordsman 2 (or "Legend of the Swordsman" depending on which version you watch) based on the novel by martial arts author Louis Cha. Directed by Ching Siu Tung (the action choreographer for "Hero") and produced by acclaimed Hong Kong director Tsui Hark:

One of the highlight of that movie was Taiwanese actress Brigitte Lin who plays the villian with a shocking secret. Speaking of Tsui Hark, he directed another acclaimed wuxia movie...on second thought, that's more of a fantasy/horror movie with wuxia elements, 1987's "Chinese Ghost Story", starring the late singer Leslie Cheung and Taiwanese actress Joey Wong, about a scholar who unwittingly stumbled onto a haunted temple and striking up a romance with a ghost girl with a dark secret:

Last edited by Coolboy; 09-09-2020 at 09:27 AM.
    mused likes this.

I grew up with the Bruce Lee movies which were all great to watch, but I also liked Jean Claude Van Dam from the late 80's and watched all his earlier stuff until he sort of fizzled out. My wife and kids absolutely LOVE a good kick ass kung fu movie, which are always welcome on our big screen.

Fave movies as I dont really have a single fave but I liked these.

All of the Bruce Lee Movies
    Blood Sport
    Kickboxer
    Crouching Tiger 1 & 2
    Hero
    All of the Ip Man movies
    Fist of Legend
    Fearless

Just so many lol

hannah01, mused and Coolboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I grew up with the Bruce Lee movies which were all great to watch, but I also liked Jean Claude Van Dam from the late 80's and watched all his earlier stuff until he sort of fizzled out. My wife and kids absolutely LOVE a good kick ass kung fu movie, which are always welcome on our big screen.

Blood Sport
    Kickboxer
    Crouching Tiger 1 & 2
    Hero
    All of the Ip Man movies
    Fist of Legend
    Fearless

Just so many lol
    Yes was going to mention JCVD too, loved those movies! Haven't seen them in years. They just put Hard Target on Netflix, time for a rewatch.
    Coolboy and Skyhook like this.

Almost all martial art movies produced by Shaw Brothers (now defunct company) - many featuring Angela Mao.

Also, Bruce Lee and Jet Li's (can't pick one but Once upon a time in China would do) . As a kid, I pretended I was a Bruce Lee disciple and picked a mock kung fu fight with my older brother that was long ago in 1999. Whew!!!

Coolboy and Skyhook like this.

Also a huge Bruce Lee fan but I always see Enter the Dragon mentioned first. I understand the impact of it but it's my least favourite of his movies, maybe even including the last 30mins of Game of Death. I will always go rewatch the first three time and again before I put on ETD.

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:

Blood Sport
    Kickboxer
    Crouching Tiger 1 & 2
    Hero
    All of the Ip Man movies
    Fist of Legend
    Fearless

Just so many lol
    Van Damme actually lived in HK for quite a while. He and Chuck Norris are awesome.

The one martial arts star I can't stand is Steven Seagal. He comes across an an arrogant dick who loves the sound of his own voice a bit too much. I mean he dissed Van Damme for no reason:

His co-stars have also slammed him as a moron:

The Mad TV skit on Seagal is closer to reality than most imagine:

Last edited by Coolboy; 09-09-2020 at 10:16 AM.
    mused and CarterTG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Van Damme actually lived in HK for quite a while. He and Chuck Norris are awesome.

The one martial arts star I can't stand is Steven Seagal. He comes across an an arrogant dick who loves the sound of his own voice a bit too much. I mean he dissed Van Damme for no reason:

His co-stars have also slammed him as a moron:

The Mad TV skit on Seagal is closer to reality than most imagine:

I forgot about Seagal, but did enjoy his early movies when he was thin, he was just so good at elbow and wrist locks ( Aikido ) and smacking people with what ever they were going to try and hit him with, was petty good shit. I haven't liked his later stuff during his frumpy years. lol

Anyway, tonight I am going to introduce a few of JCVD's early movies to my kids tonight, I'll start with Bloodsport, then Kickboxer and Double Impact over the next few nights.

My eldest son is already a red/black belt in Taekwondo at age 10 but my youngest who did do TKD for a year wants to change and learn, Wing Chun Kung Fu, which we'll happily oblige once the COVID dies down a bit.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 09-09-2020 at 11:05 AM.
    mused and Coolboy like this.