Like Tree19Likes

Two Guys vs Everything

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Two Guys vs Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    There is no doubt in my mind that if you try to push integration/diversity/affirmative action too hard and too far, it backfires. First and foremost, people must have the experience and competencies to do what they are supposed to do. For example, blindly putting women as firefighters just to achieve gender balance would be dangerous to everyone if the women don't meet the physical standards deemed necessary for the job. However I would have no objection having a woman hired over a man that might achieve higher physical standards if she had something different to offer. In my opinion, using one and only one criteria like grades or physical standards for example to judge who is most worthy of a scholarship/admission is narrow minded.

What bothers me is when you hear someone say the person got the job/placement/scholarship because they are...(put class) and they have the competencies/experience etc... It is extremely demeaning(and bitter) to reduce people's accomplishments to their race/gender/etc...
    Yes... has anyone asked what a short transgendered and disabled woman could bring to a basketball team?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    Yes... has anyone asked what a short transgendered and disabled woman could bring to a basketball team?
    Prize for the most stupid comment of the day

She is running the team's Fantasy League app and earning three times all the players put together

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Now, now, we should have a bit of diversity and not always have the same winner

I do remember going for a few beers with an Para-Olympian basketball player in Wanchai quite a few years back. I ran out of stamina in Amazonia but they carried on to the Bridge. Luckily the staff and patrons in Wanchai showed no signs of bigotry for their patrons / fellow customers.
    angeluscomplex likes this.

There is no doubt in my mind that if you try to push integration/diversity/affirmative action too hard and too far, it backfires.

What bothers me is when you hear someone say the person got the job/placement/scholarship because they are...(put class) and they have the competencies/experience etc... It is extremely demeaning(and bitter) to reduce people's accomplishments to their race/gender/etc...
    But pushing too hard is exactly what elements of the 'woke' movement are doing. Some of the stuff happening on university & college campuses (and spilling over to the real world) in the last few years is ridiculous. The recently suspended lecturer (Chinese 'Nigah') being a prime example. Now this may not fall under the banner of 'affirmative action', bit it is absolutely synonymous with the attitudes of the increasing number who 'push too hard'.

As for getting a job etc as a protected class - O.f. c.o.u.r.s.e. people are going to say they only got the job because of their class; even reasonable, well balanced neutral observers are going to give this factor weight, because it is A facto,r and maybe it's THE factor.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I'm sorry, I just think there are too many tall, black men in the NBA and some of them aren't checking their privilege... will nothing be done? By the way, an ad hominem attack is not an argument.

I'm sorry, I just think there are too many tall, black men in the NBA and some of them aren't checking their privilege... will nothing be done? By the way, an ad hominem attack is not an argument.
    There has to be an argument worthy of a response. You know your comment was ridiculous and was intended to be so.

Let's humor your idiocy for a minute... How many NBA team owners are black? How about in the NFL?

How about coaches? A little controversy there at the moment...
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/04/s...diversity.html

Let's humor your idiocy for a minute... How many NBA team owners are black? How about in the NFL?

How about coaches? A little controversy there at the moment...
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/04/s...diversity.html
    Yet there are still no complaints about lack of diversity among highly paid players...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast