Like Tree16Likes

Online schooling - any tips?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Saw this and it reminded me of this thread.

Homeless kids with a government provided laptop doing online learning.Name:  120903668_10159563959357985_6026989181930556802_o.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  155.2 KB

Just an update because some of you raised health/activity concerns which I also shared.

One of the modules is "health" in which apart from discussing things like mental health and gender equality, they also had to do:

A five minute dance video (which of course will involve a lot more than 5 minutes)

Step exercises, 3 minutes at 96 steps per minute (measuring heart rate before and after)

Planks (record number)
    Press-ups (record number)

Stretching (record distance)

Height/weight/bmi

Parents do the recording so no cheating.

All this info is then sent to the teacher each week.so they can monitor the children.

Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Just an update because some of you raised health/activity concerns which I also shared.

One of the modules is "health" in which apart from discussing things like mental health and gender equality, they also had to do:

A five minute dance video (which of course will involve a lot more than 5 minutes)

Step exercises, 3 minutes at 96 steps per minute (measuring heart rate before and after)

Planks (record number)

Height/weight/bmi

All this info is then sent to the teacher each week.so they can monitor the children.
    Sounds awful.
    MatthieuTofu likes this.

Planks (record number)

Height/weight/bmi

I do Les Mills online classes. I found (by accident, I was looking for something new to try) that they have a section for kids called "Let's Move". You can get a 14 day free trial - it's movement to music - might be worth a look.

Planks (record number)

Height/weight/bmi

I'm not sure if you omitted any of the details of the lesson but by itself, it looks a bit lazy and unimaginative though the dance video has potential. If I were to do this with kids, I would try to add different skills and fitness challenges weekly to share with the class and give certain guidelines and examples for a dance video. It is important to get kids to produce various output in order to be able to provide some kind of evaluation so eventually perhaps get the kids to come up with their own unique challenges for particular skills or fitness attributes .

It would be completely unethical for a school to send the kids to do online fitness classes from other content providers though they can certainly borrow ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    I'm not sure if you omitted any of the details of the lesson but by itself, it looks a bit lazy and unimaginative though the dance video has potential. If I were to do this with kids, I would try to add different skills and fitness challenges weekly to share with the class and give certain guidelines and examples for a dance video. It is important to get kids to produce various output in order to be able to provide some kind of evaluation so eventually perhaps get the kids to come up with their own unique challenges for particular skills or fitness attributes .

It would be completely unethical for a school to send the kids to do online fitness classes from other content providers though they can certainly borrow ideas.
    They haven't sent them to other providers and nor would they.

Yes I missed out loads, for example designing their own daily fitness programme across four fitness dimensions, but plenty of other stuff. Naturally the dances are their own creation.

This is only week 1, I will wait and see what those who are qualified and experienced in child physical education come up with in future weeks. I am pretty certain there will be online group dances in the same way they do group presentations in other subjects. I am mostly glad PE is a core module.

As a parent, overall generally happy with the first week given that it is new to everyone. At high school level the workload was way too high but they have and are responding to that so hopefully that will calm down. Certainly no time for projects this week.
    Last edited by hullexile; 11-10-2020 at 02:59 PM.

At the end of the day, whether it's school or business, there's an adaptation to go through with a new model of doing things. Group discussions for example are not practical on video but better done in chat in my opinion. In meetings, it's important to try to set the order for speakers and better to mute everyone and send questions by text. In my opinion, there are a lot of people that complain about this way of working because they haven't adapted yet and try to do make a square peg fit in a round hole. It doesn't work if you are lazy and just try to free flow it. It works pretty well if you bother to put a good structure and participants stick with it. We all just have to learn and adapt and I think the cost and convenience advantages can eventually outweigh the downsides. There shouldn't be any more typhoon or snow days, there should be a lot more telecommuting, there should be far less business travel. I hope that this crisis makes us become better, more flexible and more open to doing business/school in different ways. It doesn't mean losing all human contact but take advantage of what we have learned and developed and use it when appropriate.

Original Post Deleted
    In reality I think the whole school year unless something drastic happens.

Reason, that is what the vast majority of parents want. When they talked about limited school opening there was uproar. No way they could push it through.

There are special factors here, very large multi generational households being the main one (very different to Japan, the average age here is 23). Those large households also take the edge off the isolation (but far from totally of course).

At the moment I think it is correct to keep them closed as we are in the middle of flu season. Personally I think the numbers will drop soon and they could look at November but my guess is they won't.

Original Post Deleted
    Normally June to April but this year delayed until October to July. I assume they will start again in September which is what they have wanted to change the school year to for at least 15 years that I know.

Remember in your thinking they have already been in lockdown since March, so we will be looking at a lockdown of at least 16 months.
    TheBrit likes this.