Cities with great skylines

Closed Thread

Cities with great skylines

Which Cities that you have been to are a great view as you come across them? Not just from one vantage point but the skyline in its setting.

Vancouver

Hong Kong

Shanghai is a mess except if you are in just the right part of the Bund

Name:  WaninaS-Shanghai-Skyline-Apartment-photos-Exterior-Waninas-Shanghai-Skyline-Apartment.JPEG
Views: 150
Size:  61.0 KB

London was Meh but joining the 21st century with a few more tall buildings

Name:  londonskyline2-1600x720.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  339.2 KB

Any city you think is great to see when you approach and any that are overated?

Tokyo and Osaka, one of my favorite things to do was visiting these observatories. I thought I had visited most of them, but they keep building new ones with new views.

Original Post Deleted
    I agree with the 1st part, but Chicago has a great skyline - even seen a guy with it tattooed on his arm. The midwest is flat as a pancake and the tall buildings in the loop stand out at a distance - wether you arrive by plane, train, boat or car.

https://twitter.com/barrybutler9/sta...109505/photo/1

And I'm amazed how many buildings have had the distinction of being the tallest at one point. At the beginning of the 20th century it was enough to have 10-15 floors to be classified as a skyscraper.

And a fun fact - right in the center in the picture above - between Trump Hotel and the Hancock tower is a rectangular building with a 'Prudential' sign at the top - in 1958 or so that was it. Here is an enjoyable old video from that building:

https://youtu.be/f021EEy9B08

Mainhattan, best viewed from A3 at 200 km/h or more.

Last edited by Morrison; 11-12-2020 at 03:34 AM.

Original Post Deleted
    Chicago's skyline is impressive for how long it is . . . I remember driving Lake Shore Drive as a teenager and how the the blocks of skyscrapers went on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by reprazent:
    Tokyo and Osaka, one of my favorite things to do was visiting these observatories. I thought I had visited most of them, but they keep building new ones with new views.
    The density of Tokyo is overwhelming. I always describe it as "a big city among big cites."

Where's the love for San Francisco? Any decent shot with one of the Bridges is worthy of a postcard - The Golden Gate Bridge gets all the press, but the San Francisco side of the Bay Bridge is beautiful as well. The TransAmerica Pyramid is iconic.

Name:  EAA_5368.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  220.5 KB

Name:  iStock-1136437406-San-Francisco-Bridge-1.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  16.64 MB