Like Tree76Likes

Do you believe in a creator?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I don't have enough faith to be an atheist. It might have been a logically tenable position when mankind believed that the smallest unit of existence was a cell, and that the universe existed in a steady state eternally. But now that we know about RNA (let alone DNA) and the Big Bang, the numbers alone make life as we know it a whole lot less likely than that proverbial bunch of monkeys typing out the works of Shakespeare eventually.

And sure, the world's in a mess but might that just possibly have anything to do with the idiotic decisions and actions of homo not-very-sapiens over the years?? Maybe the creator is expecting us to take some responsibility (or at least waiting until we seriously ask for help when we realise we can't do it on our own).

At least that's my 2 cents' worth.

hullexile likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Similarly,

The good thing about God is that he exists whether you believe in him or not.

You are never going to prove God doesn't exist and I am not going to prove he does. I have zero doubt and you have zero doubt. One of us will be wrong.

When we die it will make no difference to me if I am wrong because I won't know anything about it whereas you are seriously fucked . If I am right then eternal bliss, if you are right then you won't know you were right.
    chingleutsch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Similarly,

The good thing about God is that he exists whether you believe in him or not.

You are never going to prove God doesn't exist and I am not going to prove he does. I have zero doubt and you have zero doubt. One of us will be wrong.

When we die it will make no difference to me if I am wrong because I won't know anything about it whereas you are seriously fucked . If I am right then eternal bliss, if you are right then you won't know you were right.
    Do you believe in evolution?

Assuming evolution is true, if we trace back our lineage eventually we will arrive at ancestors who did not actually have the cognitive, linguistic or social ability to even conceive of a notion of God. Do they go to heaven or hell? At what point on the evolutionary continuum can we draw a line distinguishing those who are not capable of conceiving of the notion of God, and those that are fully capable of conceiving the notion and should be judged according to the logic of modern religions? (heaven/hell etc)

Original Post Deleted
    My God, there is no other.
    hannah01 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    It is certainly exclusive, not sure if it is arrogant. I didn't believe for 48 years.

Quote Originally Posted by avocado22:
    Assuming evolution is true, if we trace back our lineage eventually we will arrive at ancestors who did not actually have the cognitive, linguistic or social ability to even conceive of a notion of God. Do they go to heaven or hell? At what point on the evolutionary continuum can we draw a line distinguishing those who are not capable of conceiving of the notion of God, and those that are fully capable of conceiving the notion and should be judged according to the logic of modern religions? (heaven/hell etc)
    I think the answer to your question is the same that applies to children or those with brain damage for example. If you are unaware of Christ you can't be held accountable for your disbelief. The sin is in the rejection. We are all free to reject (unless you are a Calvinist).

I think the answer to your question is the same that applies to children or those with brain damage for example. If you are unaware of Christ you can't be held accountable for your disbelief. The sin is in the rejection. We are all free to reject (unless you are a Calvinist).
    I heard there were some dudes on Sentinel Island who never heard the message and so didn't get a chance to accept/reject - could you go and let them know?
    NTCP88 likes this.

I see so hell only contains homo sapiens born after 0 BC, prior to that all went to heaven?

The answer is 42.

Baklava and AsianXpat0 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast