Like Tree136Likes

Man-spreading... How common in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Frankly, I'm surprised you didn't threaten to call the police on him...

Coolboy, jwyl, Cornmeal and 4 others like this.

Hahaha - what's funny to me is I genuinely clicked on this thread thinking it was something about the relative transmit-ability of COVID by men versus women!!!

My related annoyance is people who use their bag to "reserve" the seat next to them. Is there a technical term for this? Can it be mitigated by having a large companion? And am I within my rights to call the police?

FDH seem to be most guilty of that other cardinal sin, carrying bulky bags on public transport. Maybe the government will introduce a law forcing them to walk?

The thing I find most amusing is I wouldn't blink twice if any of these things were actually true in HK right now, things seem so crazy. As they say, "What a time to be alive".

Keeping our sense of humor about these things is important for our sanity right now

Elegiaque likes this.

Uncommon. A bigger problem is woman bagging, which is when women occupy the seat next to them with their handbags. Very rude behavior which needs to be called out, especially when there are few seats available.

Quote Originally Posted by topworld:
    Uncommon. A bigger problem is woman bagging, which is when women occupy the seat next to them with their handbags. Very rude behavior which needs to be called out, especially when there are few seats available.
    No no no, the biggest problem is not them occupying the seat with their bag. The biggest problem is that when I do signal that I want that seat, they don't move their legs for me to move to the window seat. They just sit there hugging their handbag with a slightly disgusted face as they are waiting for me to somehow squeeze by their legs without hurting them. Making it so difficult to reach the seat is definitely part of their strategy and its working, I have given up on reaching those seats after 4-5 pretty awkward situations where we are basically stuck.

I probably need to break this out into its own thread since its a much larger problem than man-spreading.
    jabalong, hongkong7, aw451 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by topworld:
    Aha, is this the commonly accepted technical term for this practice?

I wonder which started first...the woman bagging or man spreading? They kind of seem designed to solve the same problem of inconsiderately reserving more than your share of personal space.

If monty python were active I'm sure they could do a great skit on this theme....
    jabalong, BCD and Ugo RIpanykazov like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    No no no, the biggest problem is not them occupying the seat with their bag. The biggest problem is that when I do signal that I want that seat, they don't move their legs for me to move to the window seat. They just sit there hugging their handbag with a slightly disgusted face as they are waiting for me to somehow squeeze by their legs without hurting them. Making it so difficult to reach the seat is definitely part of their strategy and its working, I have given up on reaching those seats after 4-5 pretty awkward situations where we are basically stuck.

I probably need to break this out into its own thread since its a much larger problem than man-spreading.
    Before starting a new s̶p̶r̶e̶a̶d̶, thread, please come up with a succinct technical term for this practice.

Its friday so lets all let out with our pet peeves. Mine is people getting on minibuses and then instead of sitting by the window they occupy the asile seats hoping no one sits next to them, oldies love doing this.

I love squeezing my FAT ARSE getting to the window seat and squashing them as much as possible. some are smart and will either move in or stand up to let me in. love playing games with these fuckers.
    @HK_Katherine just tell the old man or anyone else next time "Fai Dee Say La" go die quickly lol

HK_Katherine and calmathetic9 like this.

@xhkge - How about 'bag-spreading'?

@RobRoy I also really hate this. I'm a big person, and reallly... they want me to squeeze my fat ass through that little gap all over their face? Well allll right then! They can see just as well as I can how big I am, but somehow they fail to do a calculation in their brain...

I thought this thread might be about man-splaining, which I experience a lot here with white men who think they need to give me pedantic lessons in how to use a pavement (husband never experiences this...).

Jillypots likes this.

Guy was bag-spreading on Taipei Airport line (which is also a commuter line) and pretending to be asleep. I picked up said bag and plopped it into his lap, it was the only seat on the train. Zero fucks given...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast