Like Tree19Likes

Which Olympic sport(s) do you intend to follow at Tokyo?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Obviously the Sevens and having missed last years HK 7's I plan to get totally smashed in full fancy dress and forget who the winner is.

Coolboy and aw451 like this.

I might follow those which the government lets RTHK cover. Oh wait, that's nothing. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by rathunt:
    Obviously the Sevens and having missed last years HK 7's I plan to get totally smashed in full fancy dress and forget who the winner is.
    I'm usually not a fan of rugby sevens. I don't particularly care for the drunkfest that goes on each year at the Hong Kong stadium. But its absence last year made me sit up and take notice. Maybe after all these years in HK, the sport has somehow made its way into my subconscious and I actually kinda miss it now I admit. So yeah, I will be watching it at Tokyo.

Speaking of Olympic Team Sports, which others caught your attention? Basketball (well the result are kind of predictable, US Dream Team wins gold), volleyball, soccer, field hockey, baseball or handball? I personally enjoy watching (indoor) volleyball. Both the men and women teams. Brazil and Russia dominates on the men side. For the women, Cuba once won triple Olympic Gold medals back-to-back (1992, 1996, 2000) but they have since gone on a sad decline, being unable to even qualify for Tokyo. China, US, Italy and Serbia are the likely medal contenders.

For China, they traditionally excel at individual Olympic sports (i.e. table tennis, badminton, etc) but not so much for team sports. China's most popular sport is soccer, yet the men's national team has long been seen as a joke or national disgrace, routinely underperforming and being humiliated by minnows. Basketball is the second most popular sport in China, but the national team has also turned in underwhelming performances of late. The only team sport in China that has an accomplished record is women indoor volleyball, having won 3 Olympic Gold medals thus far and coached by Lang Ping, a former player who is legendary in the world of volleyball, being regarded as one of the best player to have ever played the game. Wonder what made volleyball different than the other team sports in China? I'm curious, going to find out why.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 26-05-2021 at 03:34 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Who will be the fastest man on Earth since Bolt has retired.

I was devastated when I learned that I wouldn’t be able to enjoy Race Walk last year. I’ve loaded up on the pop corns just in case this epic takes place this year.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I will be looking at the medals vs positive cases table.
    It's the Covid Olympics of 2021! Which country will be eliminated with the most positive cases?

Quote Originally Posted by gardabble:
    It's the Covid Olympics of 2021! Which country will be eliminated with the most positive cases?
    India for one. Pakistan too. And maybe Nepal as well. I doubt their Covid level can be brought down in time to send their athletes to Japan with no positive cases.
    gardabble likes this.

Going to watch the speed walking.

DimSumBond likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cminds:
    Going to watch the speed walking.
    Please don’t disrespect the athletes. It’s called the Race Walk.

Speaking of obscure sports in the Olympics that one normally does not pay attention to...what are these obscure sports that might interest you?