Like Tree152Likes

Best and worse places to live in the World?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:

It's all in the eye of the beholder so this thread is a little pointless. For example, I really cannot understand for the life of me why someone would say Singapore was a good place to live! Visit maybe, work temporarily, but live?
    Singapore is rather boring compared to HK, with its more edgy and exciting life. But I will say Singapore is better for raising kids, a little more family friendly. So if you are single or married without kids/or already have grown kids, maybe HK is better. But if the kids are still of school age, Singapore would be preferable.

I'll say this, as unpleasantly hot and humid as HK is now till September, it doesn't last all year. The cooler fall and winter months is a lot more bearable. Singapore in contrast is like this year-round.

Why some people find Dubai appealing is a mystery to me as well. I heard a number of expats praise it to no end. But when I was there, I wasn't particularly impressed with the place. I can understand folks moving there for work reasons. But as a place to live? With an arid bone dry climate that is like a furnace in the summer? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    For me - it needs some city liveliness
    But it cannot just be city life. I need to get out to the countryside, with hills. (So London and NYC are out)
    I hate driving, so needs to compact or have good transport. (that's most of the US and Australia out)
    Also not too hot and not too cold.
    Near a beach or two would be nice.
    And locals can speak English.
    And I'm not too bothered about a large place to live. I'm quite happy in a compact flat.

So, I guess somewhere like Monaco?
    Sounds very much like Porto (sorry, bit biased as I live there now)

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm:
    Sounds very much like Porto (sorry, bit biased as I live there now)
    Portugal would definitely be on my list of top places, with southern France and Italy.
    Eva C likes this.

Purely subjective, but Auckland New Zealand vs Sydney Australia? Which do you prefer to live in? Or Christchurch, New Zealand vs Vancouver, BC?

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Purely subjective, but Auckland New Zealand vs Sydney Australia? Which do you prefer to live in? Or Christchurch, New Zealand vs Vancouver, BC?
    I've visited Auckland and Vancouver once, Sydney a couple of times, and Christchurch never - but I'd choose Sydney or Vancouver over New Zealand, and in fact they're both fairly high up my list of possible next places to 'settle' for a while. New Zealand is definitely nice, but in the end I think it's just too far from everywhere, and too small, to be somewhere I'd want to live. I do have a Kiwi friend who moved back from HK this year, but he's gone 'home' with his wife and son, which puts things in a very different context...

Plus, issues like having family and friends in Sydney, and both Sydney and Vancouver likely being much better places for moving my career along.

I know all these cities very well... All great places to live. Christchurch is small, out of the way and was badly hit by earthquakes so I'd put it last. Auckland is a nice place to live and if I didn't want to leave and go anywhere, it might be at the top but I agree that it's a pain to travel more than 12 hours to go anywhere but Australia. Sydney is nice and cosmopolitan but suffers from super high real estate prices and too much of a big city for my taste, nice beaches, crappy winters. I prefer Melbourne personally...but both great. Vancouver is a great place to live too but winter is awful with constant rain and it also has insane real estate prices. The access to a variety of outdoor sports is amazing though, you could ski, golf and sail on the same day. Not many places in the world you can do that and it's a much better hub to travel to a multitude of places. I found the winter more depressing than snowy places fortunately night skiing and paddling kept me sane.

Unlimited money, maybe I'd have a house in Melbourne and Vancouver. I guess it depends what kind of climate a person likes, the activities they want to do and how much they like traveling.
    Coolboy likes this.

Why some people find Dubai appealing is a mystery to me as well. .
    one word, taxes

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    one word, taxes
    And the convenience of driving everywhere including to work

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    one word, taxes
    Doesn't really compensate for the not-so-desirable aspects of Dubai in my personal opinion. By hey, to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by bak875:
    And the convenience of driving everywhere including to work
    Is that really such an attractive factor though?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast