Like Tree152Likes

Best and worse places to live in the World?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I don't think Dubai is objectively worse than HK. It's hot as hell in summe but so is HK and it's not humid with typhoons, no taxes, better value for money for flats, in between Europe and Asia for flights, I prefer Middle Eastern food to chinese. I wouldn't want to live in either places if I didn't make decent money but to me it's four quarter to a dollar.

mokhi6 likes this.

Worst: where ever I currently am
    Best: everywhere else

Isn't grass often greener on the other side? Home is what you make of it, but any city would always offer something different. Then our ambitions, priorities, tastes may change as we get older.

Right now i'm quite content here TBH. It's home. and and i'm not sure I can think of any one place that ticks all the boxes (including Hong Kong).

Which makes the lack of travel, right now, somewhat frustrating.

Coolboy likes this.

The thing is places change so fast most of your talk will be outdated soon.

Interesting than nobody mentioned any Scandinavian country, given that this group of countries always ranks highest among population happiness

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    Interesting than nobody mentioned any Scandinavian country, given that this group of countries always ranks highest among population happiness
    To be honest, I never could figure that happiness out. Finland ranks as one of the top countries in that respect but how anyone can be happy living in semi-darkness for several months each year in the freezing cold is truly beyond me.
    Mrs. Jones, mysti and chingleutsch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm:
    To be honest, I never could figure that happiness out.
    Reduced expectations? I believe that was the less-than-earth-shattering conclusion of a recent study.

Or are they living to their full potential as human beings? As Aristotle might ask...
    Mefisto likes this.

Best: Germany, Singapore and Norway ( the last told to me by a good friend who has been living there for years. ) People say Sweden, but no. Apathetic healthcare, high cost of living for substandard lifestyle, and xenophobia - trust me, it IS hard to find a job, as even my Swedish husband with years of work experience in his field found out and myself. Nepotism and agism in some places.

Worst: US, Cypress or Greece, UAE, NZ and Australia. Korea also can be extremely difficult towards foreigners and China. My opinion so I'm sure to get some ardent disagrees but my husband and I have worked and lived in these countries. We loved living in HKG but of course, things are changing rapidly for the worse.

DimSumBond and Mrs. Jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Best: Germany, Singapore and Norway ( the last told to me by a good friend who has been living there for years. ) People say Sweden, but no. Apathetic healthcare, high cost of living for substandard lifestyle, and xenophobia - trust me, it IS hard to find a job, as even my Swedish husband with years of work experience in his field found out and myself. Nepotism and agism in some places.

Worst: US, Cypress or Greece, UAE, NZ and Australia. Korea also can be extremely difficult towards foreigners and China. My opinion so I'm sure to get some ardent disagrees but my husband and I have worked and lived in these countries. We loved living in HKG but of course, things are changing rapidly for the worse.
    very good post. I can tell you have lived thoroughly!!

Melbourne for the vibes. Only ever visited but loved it there. Locals were chill and it was easy to start up random conversations and banter was good.

Taiwan has a pretty had a pretty nice chill vibe with a decent coffee shop culture too. Lots of outdoor areas in general the lifestyle there seemed pretty wholesome and active. Very affordable too.

On paper, Toronto and Vancouver seem like they would be nice, though cost of living might not be as accessible.

Scandinavian countries seem good in theory, but I worry about being able to plug in culturally.

Same thing for Japan. As much as I love the food and the sights, I wonder if it would be as easy to plug in socially.

Maybe I’m biased to places I’ve only been to for short periods time because I was on holiday mode and had positive associations.

In general, I’m thinking someplace a little colder with a bit of snow.

I’d like to move some place a little less money-centric than Hong Kong. Not that I blame Hong Kong people for that, everything is just so darn expensive that you have to think about money a lot.

Skyhook, Mrs. Jones and shri like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast