Like Tree152Likes

Best and worse places to live in the World?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

Quote Originally Posted by mokhi6:
    if money is not the problem than why not HONG KONG itself. I dont have any issues here, probably the safest place out in the world especially for a brown kid, air pollution is the only problem I dont like about Hong KOng. so answer your question;
    Live in Hong Kong, fly to other places when pollution hits top, travel around the world. Home will always be Hong kong/. and Yes Dubai is fine as well, food is good, huge roads, people respect you, as well ignore you to give you space. People are not in hurry as much as in Hong Kong. I like my slippers.
    Dubai is just not my cup of tea, despite another poster claiming (falsely) that in the summer it feels no worse than HK (dehydration is far worse in Dubai and negates the advantage of the drier climate). But hey, to each his own, if you like Dubai, fine with me.

But otherwise I can agree, Hong Kong can be a good place to live...it all depends where in HK you live, of course.If you are talking about the Peak, or the Southside around Shouson Hill, Deep Water Bay, Repulse Bay, then for sure it is very nice. If you are talking about Shum Shui Po though...maybe not so great.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 07-06-2021 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    Im still surprised the Korean Troll army hasn’t come out with their copy and paste rebuttals yet!

I suspect your mate will go through a world of hurt to come to get single. I hope he doesn’t have any kin with her. He may have to cut his losses and change countries. Koreans are very vengeful and spiteful. They are also apparently the tallest people in Asia. When I was there, most males were shoulder height or below. They also wore these oversized t-shirts that made them look bigger than they are. They are pretty much the same size as everywhere else in Asia apart from having very short legs and extremely long torsos. The girls in Korea are shorter than other girls in Asia though. Having said this, they can hold their heads up high when seated as they have ridiculously high seating heights - all torsos if this is your thing.
    My mate is leaving it all with his lawyer to deal with. He's doing great with his job and colleagues in Oslo and he is happy there. Potential new squeeze is on the horizon. I guess that when he comes down to visit us in Sweden later this year - Oslo is still in semi lockdown and Sweden is still in denial - I will hear the entire story. But, yes, Koreans can be fat. Very fat. And the men smoke a lot in rivalry with the Italians. @Coolboy, As for asking someone who is Asian to get professional help, I doubt that would go down well. Not being racially discriminatory in the slightest, it is just they are the least likely to speak with a professional, just like here in HKG - I read an article some years back about women not discussing breast cancer or men discussing prostate cancer as that was taboo. It is a cultural thing.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Dubai is just not my cup of tea, despite another poster claiming (falsely) that in the summer it feels no worse than HK (dehydration is far worse in Dubai and negates the advantage of the drier climate). But hey, to each his own, if you like Dubai, fine with me.

But otherwise I can agree, Hong Kong can be a good place to live...it all depends where in HK you live, of course.If you are talking about the Peak, or the Southside around Shouson Hill, Deep Water Bay, Repulse Bay, then for sure it is very nice. If you are talking about Shum Shui Po though...maybe not so great.
    The problem with both Dubai ( UAE in general as a whole) and HKG is the authoritarian leaning on totalitarian government. There s one rule for those in power, another for those who are rich or locals, and another for the rest. I've lived in both countries. Dubai - I just could not bear with the expat wife community. There were a lot of rose tinted glasses stuck in their own bubble and husband and I were not one of them. Although we enjoyed eating in the labourers canteens, buying huge rounds of puffy bread from little Iranian hole in the wall bakeries and supporting our local Arabic takeaway, shopping at the fabric souks and wet markets. These are the only things I miss. Honestly, we had never been to one of these infamous boozy brunches.

Living in HKG? Shouson Hill and Deep Water Bay, Repulse Bay? No way thank you. The traffic is horrendous, it gets really crowded in the summer or holidays, and although Lantau south could be hit by unruly tourists, I was happier living there than visiting the posh areas.
    Mrs. Jones, Coolboy, jgl and 3 others like this.

I live on lantau island..

Lived in Tai Kok tsui way before Olympic and nam cheong ever existed. Living in SSP might not be ideal BUT its a real GEM. Its real HONG KONG. staying in white/expat only doesnt feel like HK at all.
    Coolboy and Natfixit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mokhi6:
    I live on lantau island..

Lived in Tai Kok tsui way before Olympic and nam cheong ever existed. Living in SSP might not be ideal BUT its a real GEM. Its real HONG KONG. staying in white/expat only doesnt feel like HK at all.
    Problem is, I doubt a lot of expats really want to experience "real" HK...

Problem is, I doubt a lot of expats really want to experience "real" HK...
    I'm not even sure SSP is the "real" HK. If this city is best summed up by a wealth gap and hegemonic oligarchs, then billionaires floating on a cloud in the peak is no less real. But of course, I get what was intended.

SSP is very local but short of a caged home I wouldn't assume it's cheap. The "real" HK is a public housing estate - for which as an expat one would most likely not qualify. I'm all for (and highly recommend) mingling with the locals and partaking in local activities (well, I suppose I am one) but I doubt even a local would prefer government housing if they had a choice.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    The problem with both Dubai ( UAE in general as a whole) and HKG is the authoritarian leaning on totalitarian government. There s one rule for those in power, another for those who are rich or locals, and another for the rest.
    Almost a perfect post, although I'd nitpick at this tiny bit. Let's not forget the few major democracies who effectively operate on a tiered system too, albeit under the guise of an open ballot rigged in favour of the wealthiest bidders.

I actually think the USA is perfectly liveable, in a bubble, at least from what I've seen. Generally cheap, plenty of space, all the latest tech... if you live a simple existence, as most do, and just go about your daily suburban lives earning and spending. Life can be good... but care about issues at a deeper level (or be unfortunate enough to fall below poverty line) and your blood will probably boil there as much as the average HK-er wants to stick needles in a Carrie Lam doll.

I don't like CL, despise CY even more, and I'm as speechless as many about the shit that's happening in HK now. However whilst I might refer to North Korea as a Totalitarian Regime, maybe even Turkmenistan or Syria... I chuckle whenever I see the word used for Hong Kong or even China. Government structure in Beijing is complicated and Xi has his ducks in a row, but it's not quite that simple.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9