Like Tree113Likes

Why isn't Filipino food mainstream like other Asian popular cuisine in the west..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Why isn't Filipino food mainstream like other Asian popular cuisine in the west..

I ask this question for variety of valid reasons, plus, Hullexile's periodic promotion of Jollibee ( which I am not particularly fond of ) and the distinct lack of Filipino restaurants in the west compared to much more desirable mainstream Asian offerings, that the majority of people typical crave when they think dining out,

Most people tend to prefer, Vietnamese, Malaysian, Thai, Indian, Chinese, Japanese and Korean etc
    Which, considering the size of the filipino/a population here in Australia, which I believe sits at about 300,000 folks, you'd think that there would be more restaurants than what actually exist. There just aren't any, but its so easy with all the others.

I don't think I have heard anybody in my circle which actually includes 2 mates who are married to Filipina's, say, " Hey I know this little Filipino restaurant lets try it out" it just doesnt cross peoples minds for some reason.

What's your thoughts as to why Filipino cuisine just doesn't seem to get onto peoples satisfying food spectrum radar?

It's just not that good. Philippines is a beautiful country, but one thing I don't like about that place is their local cuisine. I can't say the same about any other country that i have visited in Asia.

mokhi6, Edwardstorm, tf19 and 18 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White:
    It's just not that good. Philippines is a beautiful country, but one thing I don't like about that place is their local cuisine. I can't say the same about any other country that i have visited in Asia.
    Sadly I agree with this. When weighing up holiday destinations (when travel was a thing), a negative for the Philippines is the food, compared to other competing Asian destinations.
    BCD and Bartholomeuw like this.

Evolve the question a bit - apart from Jolibee, what does 'good, distinctive, but accessible Filipino food' that might appeal to Westerners look like?

I used to travel a lot to PH for work and leisure. The thing I hated most about going to PH? The traffic? The pollution? The difficulties catching a cab or uber during rush hour? Nope.

The thing I hated most in the PH is the food. I cannot stand their local cuisine and I am left with eating Jollibee/Shakeys/other foreign chain restos every day. The local cuisine reminds me of poorly cooked Chinese food with LOADS of sodium and sauce. Just my personal opinion.

mokhi6, Skyhook, tf19 and 1 others like this.

Here for the comments

MABinPengChau and Elegiaque like this.

For a while (early 2010's) it was fairly trendy in NY. When Jollibee opened in Queens, there were 3 hours queues. * But even my first impression of both Jollibee and trend setters such as Jeepney (https://www.yelp.com/biz/jeepney-new-york) was that the food is too sweet, too greasy, cloying, and pretty one note. After having 'traditional' Filipino food since moving to Asia, my impression of the cuisine as a whole has only gotten worse.

* It should be noted that there were also 3 hour queues for other mediocre chains such as Ippudo and Tim Ho Wan

Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    What's your thoughts as to why Filipino cuisine just doesn't seem to get onto peoples satisfying food spectrum radar?
    Have you spent any time in the Philippines (outside of resorts with carefully controlled menus), or are you familiar with the national dishes?

The food really isn't that remarkable, to put it politely.

The best Filipino food I've ever had was at a Filipino food fair in some nice part of San Francisco, and the food was... okay.
    hike likes this.

I honestly don't really remember any standout dishes from my trip to Cebu-Bohol-Panglao, good BBQ on the beach and the calamansi drinks, other things were just ok/simple rice and vege plates.

Compare that with their SE Asian Neighbours and I remember lots of great food at random roadside stalls in Thailand (pad thai/roasted chicken)-Laos (water buffalo soup)-Viet (many, but bun cha!), also don't really recall much about food in Cambodia. I've not been to Malay-Indo but I do like Laksa and Nasi Goreng.

Really disappointed with the standard of Filipino restaurants in HK. Yes it is not the best Asian cuisine but the overpriced crap served up at Cinta J, for example, does it an injustice. Crispy Pata, Lechon, a good Silog (preferably Longsilog) all work for me. Balut is not to everyone's taste but I'm a big fan, especially now I've found a shop selling it in Sai Kung.

A Filipino BBQ where the music, singing, dancing and drinking take centrestage rather than the food is a joy to behold.

Not a fan of Jolibee and definitely not a fan of bolognaise Filipino style.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast