Like Tree12Likes

I expect you'll be seeing a few of these in HKG very soon.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You underestimate the use of cars for company taxes by the folks who can afford all of this... But yeah, not setting up an argument.

chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    You underestimate the use of cars for company taxes by the folks who can afford all of this... But yeah, not setting up an argument.
    Oh I am sure some chairman or ceo can justify owning a Ferrari or McClaren for..."company" reasons, just saying the big limos do outnumber the exotics for company cars...at least on the surface.

I have a noisy Italian car. I don't thrash it, but ignition noise is very loud - it's possibly juvenile but I like it. Currently the car park is 'insulated' from the living areas so I don't worry about waking neighbours. I'm moving to a place whether the first floor is just 3 metres above a ground level open-ish car park, that's why I'm planning to change to an EV.

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo:
    I have a noisy Italian car. I don't thrash it, but ignition noise is very loud - it's possibly juvenile but I like it. Currently the car park is 'insulated' from the living areas so I don't worry about waking neighbours. I'm moving to a place whether the first floor is just 3 metres above a ground level open-ish car park, that's why I'm planning to change to an EV.
    Most performance cars especially pre fuel injected Italian cars were always a bit grumpy when started stone cold until they warmed up a bit, having owned a Ferrari and a couple of bi turbo Maserati's. Even more exciting when one of your neighbourhood rats chews through the heater hose and once the car warmed up and the thermostat opened you copped a load of hot coolant from behind the dash all over your left leg ! I wouldnt say my cars were ever noisy as I always babied them when I left home until the engine and gearbox were warmed up, plus I never messed with the factory exhaust. But the cars were a little noisier when you first started them as they idle faster, running rich until the thermostat opened and then the idle would settle down and the fuel mixture would lean off. I think also because the car was never in an echoic concrete undercover car park, most of the time mine were under an outdoor carport near or beside our house, so less invasive to neighbours. Fun though and I was fortunate enough to have had a number of these cars while was young. These days I actually don't have the midlife crisis desire to own an exotic, because I had my fun when all young men should have had the opportunity. I owned my first Porsche when I was 25, a 1981 Guards red Porsche 911 Targa, that I got cheap through a car wholesaler friend of mine for $10,000aud cheaper than used retail list or the equivalent price of a new Toyota Corolla at the time :-).

Not sure I could justify $2.6 million on a Lambo though, I just don't see the value in it compared to an Alfa Romeo 8C or a Spyker C8 roadster, which have always been my ultimate bucket list cars to own. Maybe when we move to the EU when I fully retire in 10 years, because in my opinion they both have a bit more visceral enjoyment soul as weekend enthusiast cars.

In HK is all about show off
    those cars will never see pass 200km/h

Coolboy likes this.

I had a chance to get a 'cheap' McLaren, but it didn't take long to realise it would be far too much of a 'midlife crisis'. My 'dream' car is the Jaguar Mk2 (ie Inspector Morse) but with a modern engine/ gearbox LOL. I did have a very brief email conversation with a local classic car company but they probably quickly decided that I wasn't rich enough.

Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo:
    I had a chance to get a 'cheap' McLaren, but it didn't take long to realise it would be far too much of a 'midlife crisis'. My 'dream' car is the Jaguar Mk2 (ie Inspector Morse) but with a modern engine/ gearbox LOL. I did have a very brief email conversation with a local classic car company but they probably quickly decided that I wasn't rich enough.
    I must admit I don't mind the old mk2 small capacity Daimler V8 Jags, especially if they've had their dodgy Lucas electrics and cooling system modernised, even better with a modern fuel injected motor and suspension/brake upgrade. Just a lot easier to live with than mucking around with than SU/Solex carbies and distributers etc