Like Tree51Likes

With all due respect...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Yes, precisly, to show respect to that someone even when you disagree with them. That is what I meant. That is how I used it.
    Which in North America is fine, but would you knowingly use the idiom in the UK or where a fair percentage of the Expat community is either British or is from a British colony that accepts the British interpretation of what is a pre cursor for an impending insult ? Seems a bit brash to me and a tad ignorant.
    Sage and Flapster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Definitely not in the UK. I don't think you can have an opinion about it. When used in the UK it is a put down, a ctiticism, a 'i think you are talking crap' response.
    Absolutely. Limeys use it with Americans quite often. I think probably a translation would be - 'your idea deserves no respect at all' - The respect it is due is nada

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Which in North America is fine, but would you knowingly use the idiom in the UK or where a fair percentage of the Expat community is either British or is from a British colony that accepts the British interpretation of what is a pre cursor for an impending insult ? Seems a bit brash to me and a tad ignorant.
    Nope, that's just wrong. Why should British meaning have superiority over American meaning? What inherent advantage does the Brits have to make me do that? I don't see anything. I am not British, why should I bend myself over to accept a British meaning? I mean I can say the same to you, a fair number of expats in HK are Americans, why are the Brits not adapting this meaning to Americans?

If anything, anyone attempting to pull rank on me by insisting on which is the "proper" meaning, I will stick even harder to the meaning I deem to be correct. If someone is offended, too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Absolutely. Limeys use it with Americans quite often. I think probably a translation would be - 'your idea deserves no respect at all' - The respect it is due is nada
    But this is not UK, so just deal with it. Besides, Americans call the shots now the UK have no choice but to follow what Washington say in international relations. So if I say with all due respect, I really couldn't care less if someone is offended.

But this is not UK, so just deal with it. Besides, Americans call the shots now the UK have no choice but to follow what Washington say in international relations. So if I say with all due respect, I really couldn't care less if someone is offended.
    If someone from the UK says it about your idea they are mildly mocking / insulting you.
    If someone from the Us says it about your idea they are being mildly polite.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    If someone from the UK says it about your idea they are mildly mocking / insulting you.
    If someone from the Us says it about your idea they are being mildly polite.
    Actually there is a BIG difference. Mocking means no respect to the person. You look down on him as a person and his ideas. US meaning refers to disagreeing with someone's idea without disrepecting him as a person. You could still respect him as a person despite the disagreement.

I don't know about you, but I prefer the US meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    This is going to be an interesting thread. Can I also include the usually totally unnecessary overuse of the word 'like'. Nothing worse than getting on a minibus where a conversation between two people has almost as many 'likes' as other words AND this is definitely not limited to either Americans or westerners in general.

I'm now seeing sentences starting with "Like," creeping far beyond social media.

if you like this post that is using it in its correct context.
    You will like this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rCHLho2UYDI

Isn't that "I could care less", an Americanism that really annoys me.

There is another one mentioned in this thread which has the same connotations...

'No offence but....(insert offensive comment)
    Skyhook and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Isn't that "I could care less", an Americanism that really annoys me.
    Well if this is the UK I will certainly do as the Romans do. But this ain't the UK.