Like Tree64Likes

Working during T8

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Im going to elaborate again. Most people probably CAN work from home with no issues during T8/T10. But For Fuck Sake, we are human beings. Why cant we get a day or 2 off due to mother nature.

I am shocked how many expats here have taken up the 'live to work' mentality. shocking.

Why cant we get a day or 2 off due to mother nature.
    Sure you can. Unpaid leave...

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Sure you can. Unpaid leave...
    From my experience, petty and cheap bosses can only retains shitty staff.

I give my team lots of flexibility and extra days off whenever they support adhoc tasks/projects/OTs etc. I see stronger results and better work attitude compared to my old company with the micromanage and cheap slave mentality.

I'd argue the default for HK MNC staff is absolutely live to work, and that's why silly outlets and exceptions like T8 days were maintained for decades longer than needed. Also a firm encouragement at our place to take a 6 month sabbatical every 7-10 years, rather than actually focusing on why people were exploding.

The ingrained default for my team when I arrived was arrive at 9.30/10am, do f all in the morning except plan a 2 hour lunch 12 till 2, and then stay in the office until midnight (and leave in waves based on seniority with the juniors going last and sometimes at 2am). Hardly healthy or productive. I've yet to receive any feedback that 9am-7pm (and shock horror 8am meetings with Mexico when needs must) is a backward step for them. And encouraging sensible behaviour and a realisation that the rest of the world doesn't stop with short notice just because it's raining over the south china sea is part of that.

Yes WFH is a challenge for some but i would think we all have an extremely high tolerance for screaming kids, barking dogs, piano lessons, and noisy grandmothers on a zoom call by now.

@Peaky : I dont quite grasp your stance.

To me and many HKers here, T8 is like a free annual leave. People looked forward to T8 to get a day off. They chant 8! 8! 8! the night before the forecasted weather while playing MJ. Ultimately, they are happy to get a freebie day off. How is this so hard to understand?

Maybe I am arguing with robocop.

Quote Originally Posted by hongkongmusic:
    There's no reason for HK to be so backwards, especially if working for a MNC.
    I’d be surprised if the majority of, if not all, MNC workers do not have the means to WFH due to the pandemic. Pre-pandemic I was so sick of friends here being able to watching Netflix all day & id have to work (laptop plus remote acces), the next typhoon we had I was planning to use the excuse of “we have a typhoon, my WiFi’s dodgy”. No chance of that now after 18 months WFH…

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    Im going to elaborate again. Most people probably CAN work from home with no issues during T8/T10. But For Fuck Sake, we are human beings. Why cant we get a day or 2 off due to mother nature.

I am shocked how many expats here have taken up the 'live to work' mentality. shocking.
    Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    @Peaky : I dont quite grasp your stance.

To me and many HKers here, T8 is like a free annual leave. People looked forward to T8 to get a day off. They chant 8! 8! 8! the night before the forecasted weather while playing MJ. Ultimately, they are happy to get a freebie day off. How is this so hard to understand?

Maybe I am arguing with robocop.
    Are you elaborating again?

I don’t know what your employment contract states but mine unequivocally does not state that adverse weather warnings = paid absence from work. HK gets more than enough public holidays as well.

I don’t live to work but I still need my salary paid at the end of each month.
    Flapster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by misshappy26:
    I’d be surprised if the majority of, if not all, MNC workers do not have the means to WFH due to the pandemic. Pre-pandemic I was so sick of friends here being able to watching Netflix all day & id have to work (laptop plus remote acces), the next typhoon we had I was planning to use the excuse of “we have a typhoon, my WiFi’s dodgy”. No chance of that now after 18 months WFH…
    Yes, work from home, watch netflix or simply stay at a safe location away from the wind and storm surge. Just don't go wandering around the streets or anywhere in an exposed location when its T8 or higher (yeah I am sure some will despite people warning them, but I wouldn't recommended it unless its an emergency or you know what you are doing, like a professional storm chaser).
    Last edited by Coolboy; 11-10-2021 at 04:02 PM.
    hongkong7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Are you elaborating again?

I don’t know what your employment contract states but mine unequivocally does not state that adverse weather warnings = paid absence from work. HK gets more than enough public holidays as well.

I don’t live to work but I still need my salary paid at the end of each month.
    There's never enough annual leaves or public holidays. And there is never enough money.

Original Post Deleted
    After a quick Google search… Iran with 27! Followed closely by Sri Lanka with 25. For 2021 at least anyway.
    hongkong7 likes this.