Like Tree64Likes

Working during T8

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I wonder if the WFH-in-T8 advocates would be happy if workers only worked for contracted hours?
    ...or if the non-WFH would be happy of people posting drivel online during working hours?

Seems it's all a bit of give-and-take between productivity and morale, no?

D.YU, spode and hongkong7 like this.

Original Post Deleted
    15 national holidays in the Philippines plus provincial holidays plus city holidays plus rain and typhoon days off.
    blandy62 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    To me and many HKers here, T8 is like a free annual leave. People looked forward to T8 to get a day off. They chant 8! 8! 8! the night before the forecasted weather while playing MJ. Ultimately, they are happy to get a freebie day off. How is this so hard to understand?
    The Italians and French get the whole month of August off, because its nice and sunny outside at that time of year . HK gets only a few measly days when its wet and windy? The bastards here have got it the wrong way around!!

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The Italians and French get the whole month of August off, because its nice and sunny outside at that time of year . HK gets only a few measly days when its wet and windy? The bastards here have got it the wrong way around!!
    I did not know this...

HK has too many robots (including here) to understand how to enjoy life besides work haha

Thank you so much shri for putting this riffraff in its own thread.

Who the fuck cares... some people like a no-work day, some people don't. Why the hell debate it as if you'll "win" something. It's not like the winner gets their way...

Coolboy and Flapster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Ha, I used to work for a French company. It was nigh on impossible to get any decisions approved between June and August.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    If you understand HK traditions, T8 is a usually a happy day for people to stay home and play mahjong. And I would be pretty upset if my family has the day off and playing mahjong while I need work (from home).

Another reason for T8 to be a day off, is taking care of children who couldnt go to school. however, you can argue WFH and Child caring can happen simultaneously.
    This is the key point. The assumption someone can afford a room to work in a professional manner is a leap a little too far. That young technician or office admin may only have 5m2 of living space at home.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    This is the key point. The assumption someone can afford a room to work in a professional manner is a leap a little too far. That young technician or office admin may only have 5m2 of living space at home.
    So by your example, when there was a WFH mandate due to the pandemic, when schools were also closed, nobody was able to work from home in Hong Kong?

i guess many people were not really contributing to the results anyway to begin with … (which actually matches my own observations … people working long hours but accomplishing suprisingly little)
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm:
    So by your example, when there was a WFH mandate due to the pandemic, when schools were also closed, nobody was able to work from home in Hong Kong?

i guess many people were not really contributing to the results anyway to begin with … (which actually matches my own observations … people working long hours but accomplishing suprisingly little)
    some were not able to

Im in the finance industry to say the least and we got an email saying something along the line: we expect you to WFH T8 or not.

reason: market in Asia is not closed

Im debating whether to forward that email HKMA or not

HK_Katherine likes this.