Like Tree15Likes
  • 9 Post By hullexile
  • 4 Post By Morrison

The old days if freedom to travel

Closed Thread

The old days if freedom to travel

I saw these photos of Matala in Crete and remembered my few weeks there sleeping in a cave in the mid 1970s. Completely unspoilt then.

One 'cafe'. Used to order fries, he would wait until he had three orders then go to the shop to buy the potatoes. Meanwhile we would drink homemade raki and play backgammon.

The end of several months of backpacking around Europe. Never gave a thought to not being able to go where I wanted. Picking grapes, sleeping rough, jumping a freight train, gatecrashing youth hostels to get free breakfast, the care of strangers.

Name:  273727348_301898915265516_7517294528415567120_n.jpg
Views: 1896
Size:  286.9 KB
    Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 1851
Size:  51.9 KB

Original Post Deleted
    No money from my parents because disgustingly I didn't think to tell them where I had gone. Hitched, begged, picked grapes, slept where I could.

Interesting picture,I have never seen cave men with shoes on.

I am currently visiting one of the ppl who helped me along my travels in the past.
    He is over 80 now and I just wanted to see this good soul again. It’s well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Interesting picture,I have never seen cave men with shoes on.

I am currently visiting one of the ppl who helped me along my travels in the past.
    He is over 80 now and I just wanted to see this good soul again. It’s well worth it.
    We wore very little if anything. When the police raided we just swam out to sea .

Climbing up the cliff to your fourth floor cave when you are so pissed you can't see is interesting.

Was a lovely peace loving community, apart from the fight between the Germans and the Brits and some bastard stealing my passport and money.