Like Tree22Likes

Gen Z eco activists let down tyres of SUV's

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Gen Z eco activists let down tyres of SUV's

Haha I am so happy that Gen Z are doing this and can't wait for them to do it over here. In my opinion the SUV is the most stupid 'style' of vehicle that does everything badly, they're expensive to manufacture, maintain, they handle badly, they're bulky and they're inefficient due to their weight and high centre of gravity.

Love you Gen Z ! Reminds me of my generation that used to spray red paint on rich people who wore fur coats until they were too shit scared to wear one out in public and thus 'we' stopped the fur industry in a very short period of time. Now it begins again but with the mobile status symbol.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...climate-crisis

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Haha I am so happy that Gen Z are doing this and can't wait for them to do it over here. In my opinion the SUV is the most stupid 'style' of vehicle that does everything badly, they're expensive to manufacture, maintain, they handle badly, they're bulky and they're inefficient due to their weight and high centre of gravity.

Love you Gen Z ! Reminds me of my generation that used to spray red paint on rich people who wore fur coats until they were too shit scared to wear one out in public and thus 'we' stopped the fur industry in a very short period of time. Now it begins again but with the mobile status symbol.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...climate-crisis
    As a non car owner they should let down the tyres of all cars. Also smash electric goods including mobile phones and blockade airports and ports.
    GentleGeorge and rkenia852 like this.

Didn't know so many Luddites were here. Shri, is Geo off the grid yet?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    As a non car owner they should let down the tyres of all cars. Also smash electric goods including mobile phones and blockade airports and ports.
    That's obviously recently, I know you had a corolla ( I think it was or your wife did) in the past. I have no problem with relatively fuel efficient 'sensible' cars. The SUV had to be the poster boy for Capitalist consumption in every possible way a vehicle could achieve. I hate them with a passion.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNotAppearing:
    Didn't know so many Luddites were here. Shri, is Geo off the grid yet?
    And close down Geo, definitely not carbon neutral because there is a lot of methane produced in the posts.

On the original post, who gets to choose good and bad? Is owning an SUV worse than flying round the world on holiday? Or not buying locally produced goods? Or having a big house with lots t very nice but unnecessary appliances and gadgets? Do you really need that giant TV?

That's obviously recently, I know you had a corolla ( I think it was or your wife did) in the past. I have no problem with relatively fuel efficient 'sensible' cars. The SUV had to be the poster boy for Capitalist consumption in every possible way a vehicle could achieve. I hate them with a passion.
    Innova not Corolla. Nice big diesel MPV.

And close down Geo, definitely not carbon neutral because there is a lot of methane produced in the posts.

On the original post, who gets to choose good and bad? Is owning an SUV worse than flying round the world on holiday? Or not buying locally produced goods? Or having a big house with lots t very nice but unnecessary appliances and gadgets? Do you really need that giant TV?
    Even better when you live on an acreage surrounded by 100's of trees, grow fruit and vegetables and have 15kw of pv and we will be getting an electric car hopefully next year 'if' the model I want is released here. For the moment my small capacity dpf equipped 1.4 tonne diesel station wagons that get on average 1200km per 70 litre tank will have to do.

The biggest SUVs designed for US roads really have no business being on city streets here or in Europe. BMW X7, Merc GLS, Volvo XC90, and Tesla X I'm looking at you. If Elon ever releases his cybertruck that's going straight to the top of the list along with that hideous Bentley 4x4 thing.

But while those cars are on the road if I had kids to be driving around I'd join the arms race... I think it's something that government needs to solve for rather than something you can really blame on consumers. If you want to protest go glue yourself to the transport ministry or the car makers' HQ imo.

Skyhook likes this.

Any thoughts on helicopters?

Who ever gets to choose anything good or bad? - It's a question that merely stalls progress.

Societies reach a form of 'consensus' through various means, that's it. This is one of those means.

SUV's offer 'marginal utility' over comparable transport options at a disproportionately high environmental cost and therefore are a legitimate target. And locally produced? Of course that's a huge issue - No one is suggesting it shouldn't be targeted first.

But I agree with your central point, the trouble is indeed attitudes towards consumption rather than SUV's per se.
    Skyhook likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast