Like Tree45Likes

Picopresso or other Manualpresso

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Now you need a deep fryer to go with the Breville... Seriously.

https://youtu.be/c6y_3KR7IV4
    Oh, who's the pusher now?!

For you Expresso nerds..

https://youtu.be/GKA2COJRt6M

huja likes this.

Machine is set up but my mail order coffee doesn't arrive until Monday.

Name:  PXL_20221106_021552482.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  1.42 MB

jgl likes this.

There's enough counter space for a deep fryer..

Quote Originally Posted by mengfei:
    that Bambino Plus looks enticing, will try to read more reviews about it first, the Gemilai brand looks ok for the general public from different countries too. I guess it's also a beginners machine @cheap

It is a great machine. I read it is programmable too, the only thing I want to adjust is that "volumetric" setting, I feel that the machine under extracts a tad and could run for a second longer. I would recommend for the auto frother you use a small jug than what they provide as it too big and can probably make 3 coffees from one frothing. Get something narrow.

We still need a great grinding machine to go with it. I was a at NOC coffee and I saw their Compak (Spanish) coffee grinder. The just placed the portafilter in, the machine turned on ground a dose and stopped. WOW! That is what I want!

Their "LAB" version the PK100 only costs US$3600! seriously?, never mind the commercial grade ones.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Machine is set up but my mail order coffee doesn't arrive until Monday.

Name:  PXL_20221106_021552482.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  1.42 MB
    BTW may want to run it a bit before you actually start putting coffee into it. I got mine 2nd hand even though it had made less than 200 cups. They periodically will go into maintenance mode and make you run a lot of water through it. I would expect the same when it is new.

Go down to marks and sparks and get yourself some Kenyan and Guatemalan and put it to work! Monday is like 20 cups a way!

Finally fired up the Breville for the first time.

The touchscreen literally guides you through the entire process of setting up the machine - including using a test strip to determine how hard or soft your water is. My only complaint in set up is that I noticed the grinder settings are not numbered - just 17 clicks (which I had to figure out on my own) on a "finer" to "courser" continuum. I set it the right smack in the middle for my first cup. The included tamper works well and has a magnetic handle that stores it in the roof of the machine's overhand (off to the left of the grinder spout). The included razor works but I purchased an after-market gadget that fits snuggly on the basket like a cap and you rotate the top to smooth the puck. Touch screen gave detailed directions throughout - including running some hot water through the system first - using that hot water to warm you cup.

This first pull was done with all presets and it was surprisingly accurate. The extraction took exactly 30 seconds. I can't entirely judge how the shot turned out because I made a latte as per the instructions for the first drink so I could familiarize myself with all the functions. The milk frother is outstanding - completely different class above my old Nespresso frother.

Over all a very nice latte - especially since it was a first drink with no adjustments made from the presets.

The photo below shows the drip tray removed. It's going to be a pain to empty and keep clean as the machine is not particularly close to the sink but it's very much a first world problem. Will figure out how many shots I can make per fill of the water reservoir.

We're hosting Thanksgiving dinner for my nieces and nephew so I think the machine will get a good workout in a couple of weeks and we'll get a good read on its capabilities and foibles.

Name:  PXL_20221113_013010189.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  1.90 MB

shri and jgl like this.

Just ran numbers. A double latte is about $5 us. Throw in tax and tip and let's say $6 per drink. At most, it costs me $1 per drink so I'm banking $5 per drink. If Ms Huja and I each have a drink a day, that's $70/week we're pocketing. We're breakeven in a few months.

shri and jgl like this.

I think I've found the coffee grinder. Clearly designed for a single dose. Has very low retention. For the obsessed grind consistency (not sure I care that much) it has a PID controlled motor and a large burrs. Price is not crazy.

https://fellowproducts.com/products/ode-brew-grinder

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8