• 1 Post By saltywetman
  • 1 Post By Peaky
  • 1 Post By PLamHK

Where is Chek Chue?

Where is Chek Chue?

Name:  IMG_3619.png
Views: 473
Size:  1.01 MB

My understanding is that Chek Chue = Stanley. That's definitely how it's generally used although it might have some more specific meaning.

Yep, that's what Stanley was called before Lord Stanley had other ideas.

A dragon boat man told me it means Red Wall and the origin has something to do with a tiger carcass being hung up and dripping blood down the wall in the temple near the Plaza...

Morrison, emx and shri like this.

There's still a tiger skin in the temple- always wondered why it was there. Perhaps they laid claim to it for that reason.

Morrison likes this.

Chek Chue existed long before the tiger skin arrived in the temple (in 1942 according to legend).

Morrison likes this.

That's a shame... seems all the southside etymology legends were made up in a pub.

I was also very disappointed to learn HMS Repulse never came anywhere near Repulse Bay despite the nice story in the colourful Tin Hau temple.

Morrison likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    That's a shame... seems all the southside etymology legends were made up in a pub.

I was also very disappointed to learn HMS Repulse never came anywhere near Repulse Bay despite the nice story in the colourful Tin Hau temple.
    Or in marketing meetings... Cyberport..

Repulse bay was named after the British navy being rather ... repulsive in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    My understanding is that Chek Chue = Stanley. That's definitely how it's generally used
    Specifically usually used by locals to refer to the prison over there as far as I can tell

Quote Originally Posted by PLamHK:
    Chek Chue existed long before the tiger skin arrived in the temple (in 1942 according to legend).
    No, I am pretty sure a crowd of people moved in and they immediately changed the name once they skinned the tiger and nailed it to the wall.