Rant - dumb questions on forums

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    er2

Quote Originally Posted by HKonelegger
    True, but at least I get that wholesome warm feeling that can only be truly achieved by thwarting somebody else's goals.
    Some people get that feeling by even answering dumb questions correctly. Especially in the flat share thread I can very well understand why a non native speaker wanted to have that clarified. I myself always though roommate meant literary sharing a bedroom, and that was something I never considered when I was looking for flatmates.

Given that the OP had the time to write a full-page rant here(and of course writing multiple replies complaining about the OP of the apple store thread), my pity for his wasted time _reading_ pointless threads is very limited.

I'd rather go with Claire's example -- people who ask for help and are then pissed when nobody tells them how to avoid laws and regulations.... My favorite was that swiss lady who wanted hubby to take the boat out into Victoria Harbour....

jimbo - lets hope they get the christmas spirit (or whatever you call this in English...)
    Last edited by er2; 22-12-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by er2
    jimbo - lets hope they get the christmas spirit (or whatever you call this in English...)
    Christmas spirit = brandy in English or a nice malt whisky

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Worst case scenario would be heading back to London and find another job there if I can't get something locally, But might just bum around for a while till the market picks up.
    I thought the work situation was going to take much longer to resolve for corporate political reasons. Well, good luck with it and here's to hoping that you stay put in HK.

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by er2

Given that the OP had the time to write a full-page rant here(and of course writing multiple replies complaining about the OP of the apple store thread), my pity for his wasted time _reading_ pointless threads is very limited.
    That Apple thread was amazing... talk about leading a horse to water.

I'm definitely part of the horde that uses Geoexpat as a displacement activity. There's a difference between good-quality displacement and crap

er2

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Christmas spirit = brandy in English or a nice malt whisky
    That's why I don't really like English... next time someone tells me that 'holy spirit' actually means that the priest blessed something else than the water...

I feel kind of guilty as I was leading the proverbial horse to water in the apple thread... however, often English sites are difficult to navigate to find specific information. Admittedly I haven't checked the Apple site for locations so I just assumed the post originator had simply had difficulty finding the answer they were looking for and offered a quick response.

Perhaps you have picked up on a valid point about the 'dumbing down ' of standards for posts on geo expat but certainly from a different perspective we may be being overly critical. All to often I've seen qenuine questions met with derision and a rather insulting flaming session based upon perhaps a thoughtless comment or phrase in the original post.

Similarly when searching this very forum for simple answers to basic questions it's amazing to see how many divergent / irrelevant answers are given often with nothing to do with the central topic - you may see this happening above through the addition of some humorous posts. Some are just plain contradictory to the original post!

To summarise it would be quite easy to critique much of what see and read in our everyday lives harshly. It's even easier when we are university educated, articulate, intelligent and perhaps a lot more self confident than others as our standards are higher. But much like Big Brother surely one extreme of taking the Orwellian idea of voyeurism , censorship and control and dumbing down to an excess you may just want to switch off.

Whilst I'm no fan of questions that smack of utter laziness on the part of the poster I have to say that I agree with Squid on his point that some people seem desperate to criticise and belittle others for anything they can. If someone asks a simple question about trying to find a job in HK when here as a tourist they immediately get the 'that's illegal' line. As if this sort of thing doesn't happen in every country around the world every day and as if the person has asked how he could kill his mother and get away with it.

I particularly liked the thread where someone asked about finding a job as a lecturer or some such and was shot down because his grammar was found to be lacking! Whilst his english was poor there are ways of saying this without coming across like a demented hyena on crack looking to chew off a squirrel's tail.

The search function on geoexpat also leaves a lot to be desired. It is crappy and you can waste a lot of time getting absolutely nowhere which is probably why people end up asking questions that have already been answered.

Still, no excuse for not looking up business addresses etc yourself.

Last edited by aussiegal; 22-12-2008 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal

a demented hyena on crack looking to chew off a squirrel's tail.
    I love this visual image....

Is this a green dots back slapping thread then? I trust everyone feels suitably clever and remarkably wonderful about themselves now.

Are you feeling a bit like an IT support helpdesk.. solving problems all day but getting no thanks? At least you get some lovely green dots beside your name.. or maybe it is that when you answer dumbass questions you don't get any green dots cos the dumbass asking the question has no idea wtf they are?

Nice to see that snobbery has reached the internet.

Merry Christmas

PS. when I first joined this forum i was amazed that people like PDLM gave of themselves tirelessly to answer the same question over and over. That was what set this place apart from another popular xpat site. maybe now the friendliest place in HK fora (is that the real word, learned that earlier in the thread ) is going to be taken over by answer snobs and dumbasses asking how to click the google search button cos everyone dislikes one or the other.

PPS Also when you do google a decent question about HK. Geoexpat links regularly comes up in the first 5 answers. So please keep answering the dumbass questions - Shri will be so pleased.

PPPS so how do I work out my tax again if I get a housing allowance...? (joke PDLM)

I suspect PDLM has a template for immigration and tax questions...many times I've seen a question pop up and a three paragraph response in 10 seconds..or maybe he just types really really fast

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast