Racial slurs discussed on Backchat [rthk]

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Racial slurs discussed on Backchat [rthk]

Vittachi,Chugani and some Gwei Lo hold a gabfest with a female chinaman
    http://podcast.rthk.org.hk/podcast/m...2009020409.mp3

starts 5 minutes into the podcast.

Anyone know who the caller[John?] sound familiar but cant quite place him.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Clues about John

So far have only learnt that he is three quartes Chinese[No idea on the other quarter] and that he probably attend La Salle.

Gwei Lo an acceptable term to refer to foreigners in HK?

I think it would be quite offensive to most people, since it literally means 'Ghost dude'....

Our hiking group had a debate about Gweilo on top of a mountain a few weeks ago.... the group is very mixed expat and local, and all the locals were most careful not to use the term to avoid offence and us expats were "gweilo this and gweilo that" to refer to ourselves without batting an eyelid. Was quite amusing. Just goes to show that you cannot be offended by something if you choose not to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    Anyone know who the caller[John?] sound familiar but cant quite place him.
    Wow this John guy is like a walking dictonairy for racial slurs. Haahaaaa

calling oneself a gwei lo/po/mui etc. is similar in nature to a black person calling himself the "n" word... sorry, it is so ingrained in me, the evils of this word, that i can't even write it here!

they are all unacceptable. my local hubby always refers to myself and many of our friends as "sai yan".... western people

Actually I find many of the 'politically correct' terms to be really annoying. How about "African American" ... I mean, how does that help me describe a black british bloke????? I think if the community uses the "slurs" themselves it diminishes their impact, which is by far the best outcome!

i agree. i would say, "black". i don't think that is particularly bad. i have a very good friend, who is black, happens to be african-american who also thinks that using the term black to describe someone is not necessarily offensive, just as describing someone as white is not considered offensive.

politically correctness is overrated. words have no power behind them unless you give them power....once you do that, there's also the power behind the sayer of that word depending on what tone he's using.

i'm chinese. i call myself chinky all the time. back in the states the running joke is i know all my gweilo friends from delivering their food and doing their laundry....no offence taken nor given by anyone that i know...even if i've just met them that night.

here- the locals consider me a gweilo...they even refer to my western coworkers as 'you gweilos' when referring to us...

step 1. take stick out of ass
    step 2. enjoy life a little more

Quote Originally Posted by campas12:
    politically correctness is overrated. words have no power behind them unless you give them power....once you do that, there's also the power behind the sayer of that word depending on what tone he's using.

i'm chinese. i call myself chinky all the time. back in the states the running joke is i know all my gweilo friends from delivering their food and doing their laundry....no offence taken nor given by anyone that i know...even if i've just met them that night.

here- the locals consider me a gweilo...they even refer to my western coworkers as 'you gweilos' when referring to us...

step 1. take stick out of ass
    step 2. enjoy life a little more
    well, Im chinese but came to HK recently, colleagues call me 'gwei jai', i m not offended. But for some reason, i felt offended when whites called me 'chink' or 'gook' in UK...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast