a rock maple butter knife
    a massive seven and a half inches long!

http://www.imaginewood.com/images/kn...r_knife_lg.jpg
    You win

Define "knife"?

n: tool with a thin sharp blade that is used for cutting

OK, but that's not what I meant.

What? you told me to "define knife"!

What I meant is, to me a knife is the thing I used to cut butter with, when I was still eating butter.

These injuries of course cannot be done with a knife used to cut butter. These are injuries from machetes.

"Isn't a machete a "large knife (also matchet)".

Indeed, but my point is that you should put things into perspectives. If one guy (on crack, or loony) attacks someone (policeman or not) with a machete I think the person has the right to defend himself by shooting the guy. If a guy attacks someone (policeman or not) with a knife used to cut butter he doesn't have the right to shoot at the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Safran
    If a guy attacks someone (policeman or not) with a knife used to cut butter he doesn't have the right to shoot at the guy.
    If you were a policeman and i came charging at you with a knife, are u really going to stand there and look at what kind of knife or weapon i have and then make a decision how to defend yourself.

its easy to say that sitting at a desk playing on your pc, when u get into a fight or altercation, things dont really go as you would think it would in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia
    If you were a policeman and i came charging at you with a knife, are u really going to stand there and look at what kind of knife or weapon i have and then make a decision how to defend yourself.

its easy to say that sitting at a desk playing on your pc, when u get into a fight or altercation, things dont really go as you would think it would in my opinion.
    I agree. You can put a mean edge on a butter knife if you want to! If I was allowed to carry a piece here and someone came at me with an edged weapon, I would be stopping the threat and then asking questions. I'd rather not take a chance. BTW those pics are from the US (in the first one the guy is wearing a durag) so the cuts might have been made with a box cutter (Stanley knife for you Brits).

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong
    box cutter (Stanley knife for you Brits).
    FINALLY! I have been waiting since 9/11 to figure out what the heck a box cutter was! Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16
    BBC NEWS | UK | Real knife wounds used as warning

That link has a video in there where the guy is stabbed with his own knife. The scenario is that he is in a fight with several people and his knife is lying on the ground when another of his opponents stabs him with the weapon he was carrying.

I agree with this advice - it is unrealistic to think of disarming someone with a weapon by going hand to hand. I have seen in my former policing days where a nut job with a huge club fended off six of us for 3 or 4 minutes as he was fueled with adrenalin and off his nut. Oh, and after I had to drive the biggest of the police constables to the hospital as he led our assault on the guy and got cut and up and bruised as this guy was swinging wildly at all of us and it took this one guy taking the brunt of his blows to distract him so he could be tackled from behind.

However, the police still need to use deadly force only in lawful situations. The big mouths in police agencies get themselves in trouble when they get a reputation for shooting off at the mouth at how they'll blow some m...ther f..kers head off blah blah. This is fine until they have to shoot and then they are double and triple guessed and if it is a borderline lawful kill they run the risk of murder or manslaughter charges. Of course, they have to be street smart to size up danger quickly or they become like the studies in the 1970s of US police officers who got shot and they found these were the better educated university and college grads who didn't size up danger and risk as quickly as the street smart guys.

The drawn gun is the police officer's final option. Getting to that too quickly can lead to dire consequences and it is the street smart officer's instincts that ensure they make the right call and avoid their family having to attend their full colour funeral service.

Malcolm Gladwell's book The Outliers doesn't deal with this issue directly but tells of how experts first instincts looking at art turned out right over months of research. The trick is to ensure that you balance that quick judgment with facts to support or detract from these initial instincts. We do know of course that we make bad decisions when we hire those we meet and like with no other supporting evidence backing up the candidate's claims of experience or accomplishments. Get this great read from shopinhk.com.
    I got the book wrong in this post. It is "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell not the new one "The Outliers" by this same guy. I wondered why my post got a red dot for "BS."

The split second people have to make decisions is something that police train for but some are far better than others and some are clearly poor decision makers. There are lots of horror stories of police who use deadly force wrongly and some dead police who waited too long and got themselves killed. Thinking you can disarm a nut with a knife is naive. Now you can sometimes talk a person out of it but it depends.

Killing a guy with knife is hardly going to get the police on criminal charges though as it meets the criteria in common law anyway for use of deadly force.

I knew police who were using hollow points back in the mid 70s which were not department issue or authorized. Despite my suggesting they shouldn't their view was that if they had to fire their gun, what came out the end of it was irrelevant to the real question they'd face and that was: was it a justifiable use of deadly force? Oh why they used hollow points was that the standard .38 ammo had a tendency to go through fleshy parts of the body and in a city this could mean they'd kill or harm innocent people. The hollow point would generally stay in the target and of course would do maximize damage with fewer shots Remember that under fire, even an expert marksman might not shoot straight.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    FINALLY! I have been waiting since 9/11 to figure out what the heck a box cutter was! Many thanks.
    lol glad to be of service

Football16: I was messing around with a plastic dagger with one of my (untrained) acquaintances last week and tried to use my hand-to-hand techniques to keep the blade off me. I ended up getting stabbed in the butt not once but twice. At least getting stabbed in the glutes wouldn't be lethal. Then again, I just deflected the blade rather than taking him to the ground or hitting him because I didn't want to risk hurting him. The moral of the story is if you're going to take someone with a knife on, you're probably going to get cut.

Jacketed hollowpoint ammunition is standard nowadays, but very often, the ammo fails to expand and penetrates just like a full metal jacketed round. With high velocity calibers, you are still going to be at risk of overpenetration, even with JHPs. Maybe there is something to the good 'ol .45 ball ammo a lot of Americans pack with pride--the lower velocity and higher weight means less penetration but more ballistic energy on impact.
    Last edited by jayinhongkong; 28-04-2009 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong
    I was messing around with a plastic dagger with one of my (untrained) acquaintances last week and tried to use my hand-to-hand techniques to keep the blade off me. I ended up getting stabbed in the butt not once but twice. At least getting stabbed in the glutes wouldn't be lethal. Then again, I just deflected the blade rather than taking him to the ground or hitting him because I didn't want to risk hurting him. The moral of the story is if you're going to take someone with a knife on, you're probably going to get cut.
    Yo Jay, u need to learn from this guy. Paan power.

[ame=http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=04e_1240791607]LiveLeak.com - This dude could definitely kick your ass.[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia
    Yo Jay, u need to learn from this guy. Paan power.

LiveLeak.com - This dude could definitely kick your ass.
    That's my mamu Ramu from Kolkata! Where'd you find the video? I haven't seen him in years!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast