Hong Kong Public Service Announcements

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Ok, then leave and find another job. I can see both view points, but a the end of the day, if you're so insulted, complain with your feet and leave.

LOTS of people around who would have no problems memorizing a 10 page document if it involved keeping and maintaining their jobs these days.
    No, I disagree. Management can't just implement rules that have no basis - eg it is not for safety and not following any government guideline. Where do you draw the line?

Does Hong Kong have unfair dismissal laws? If employees are dismissed for not memorising a 68 word mantra, something which they never signed up for, would it be legal?

Well, assuming that they're employed and not on probation, they're doing their jobs appropriately.

Workers in Japanese car factories start their work with the company song and some exercise .... I don't see them complaining right now.

My point being... if the biggest complaint these airline employees have is reciting a paragraph then they're doing ok, in my books.

By the way, I did work for a large american outfit and we (sales / marketing) were fully expected to know the company's mission statement. If we were asked during a company meeting and forgot .. drinks were on that person. The financial loss would have run into US$500+ range. Never heard a single person whinge about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile:
    No, I disagree. Management can't just implement rules that have no basis - eg it is not for safety and not following any government guideline. Where do you draw the line?
    I agree, I can't see how this will improve performance. Should they wish to instill a culture linked to attitudes and behaviour and then assess performance against that, then fine. But memorising a stupidly long mantra does nothing to aid performance.

crocodile - dismissing them would probably not be illegal, but I'd think it would be BAD PR and an unusually strong reaction.

However, I think our company's tactic worked a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    crocodile - dismissing them would probably not be illegal, but I'd think it would be BAD PR and an unusually strong reaction.

However, I think our company's tactic worked a lot better.
    If you sign up for a job and there are certain rules and policies that must be followed, I have no problem with that. But the company cannot change the goalposts later without agreement of the staff.

An example is with the current swine flu hysteria. Some companies are requiring (demanding?) staff to have compulsory temperature checks when they clock-in for work each day. Is this ok? What if it was rectal temperature??

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7