World subways to scale

Closed Thread

World subways to scale

Interesting diagrams of the world's subway systems drawn to scale.

London, Seoul and San Francisco seem to be the most sprawling, while Tokyo is perhaps the most intricate. The Paris system is shocking compact, while HK's is a fair size but very simple.

Whaddya think?

quite interesting.!!

not really up to date as the disney, west rail, east rail and ma on shan lines, as well as lrt are missing from hong kong...still a cool comparison (for geeks like me at least...)

If you've been to Sao Paolo, that one seems shockingly small too. SP is a huge sprawling city. I've not used the subway in my time there, but that system must serve only a tiny portion of the city.

And what's up with the orderly Germans?! I would have expected Munchen and Hamburg to resemble Beijing more than Barcelona...

Moscow is the worst, by far.
    if you don't count the us where nothing works half the time.

fm7

It's a fascinating comparison.

Of course, it's hard to make sense of it because you don't really see how the different systems map the geography of their cities or interface with other networks. Santiago looks limited there, but actually connected well with the bus networks. Delhi is still really under construction but also was complimenting, rather than replacing existing networks. London sprawls, but in a lot of ways is disastrously dysfunctional.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy3x4:
    Moscow is the worst, by far.
    if you don't count the us where nothing works half the time.
    Probably worth narrowing your criticism to specific cities. The US is a rather big place... And in my experience in Portland, San Francisco and NYC, the public rail is quite reliable.