View Poll Results: Why do trolls post incite-full posts and polls on internet forums?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because they are children with nothing better to do and no concept of wasting adults time

1 6.25%
  • Because they genuinely believe their posts to be true and their polls to be interesting

1 6.25%
  • Because some parts of their anatomy are smaller than normal

7 43.75%
  • Because they are unemployed and angry at the world

2 12.50%
  • No reason - they just do

0 0%
  • Because they enjoy it (ie a hobby)

5 31.25%

Why do trolls post incite-ful polls and other posts on internet forums?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why do trolls post incite-ful polls and other posts on internet forums?

I feel we need to get inside the heads of our resident trolls... so I have a poll of my own....

Or ... "If you can't beat 'em, join em"

And its not even Friday yet!

Last edited by MovingIn07; 14-07-2009 at 02:49 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Moving, you missed one:

"I neither know nor care to know the mental processes, if any, of a troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Moving, you missed one:

"I neither know nor care to know the mental processes, if any, of a troll."
    AGGGH - sorry Claire - I always miss one obvious option in my polls

Another one :

Because they love to see other member start poll about them ? Especially when that member was asking not to feed the troll earlier ...

Quote Originally Posted by Beuze:
    Another one :

Because they love to see other member start poll about them ? Especially when that member was asking not to feed the troll earlier ...
    I'll have you know that this poll is a serious scientific study aimed at discecting the brain of a troll without harming any animals. It is essential information to ensure the continued ongoing economic and social sucess of internet forums.

(I so wish I could put 'tone of voice' or 'facial expression' into a post)

A-J

If you want to catch a troll, you must think like troll, you must live like a troll and you must be a troll =)
    1st paragraph of AntiTroll Secial Ops manual

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

This is from a couple of years ago. I have shortened it a bit; you can read the whole post at: How to defeat a troll

HOW TO DEFEAT THE TROLL

An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. He or she slanders others and seeks to cause conflicts and upset people. Trolls are malicious, antisocial, and often mentally ill. They crave attention, and care not whether it is positive or negative. The Internet is a convenient venue for their bizarre, misanthropic games – a means to abuse others without fear of retaliation. Trolls are cowards - lacking the courage to be overtly hostile towards people, they hide behind their computers and the anonymity of the Internet. The troll is a less intelligent version of the malicious hacker or virus writer.

Trolls are impervious to meaningful dialogue. You CANNOT reason with them and you CANNOT cause them to feel shame or compassion. Trolls do not feel bound by rules of courtesy or social responsibility. They are simply not playing with a full deck. It is futile to try to "cure" a troll of his obsession. Trolls are irrational and not accessible through any sane approach.

When you try to reason with a troll, he wins. When you curse at a troll, he wins. If he succeeds in angering you, he's succeeded. THE ONLY THING THE TROLL CAN'T HANDLE IS BEING IGNORED - having NO EFFECT on his intended targets!

So the best way to deal with trolls is to IGNORE THEM and occasionally (and ONLY occasionally) remind others not to respond to them either.

When trolls are ignored they often step up their attacks, desperately seeking the attention they crave. Their messages become more numerous and more offensive. The combination of IGNORING THEM and FILING COMPLAINTS is the ONLY way to combat them.

Does "being a sad git" fall under option 3 or option 1?

Let me help you with your poll wording, so you can create a better poll next time.

Poll Options

Why do trolls post incite-full posts and polls on internet forums?

["incite-full" is not a word. You are confusing it with "insightfull" which would be a compliment.

Because they are children with nothing better to do and no concept of wasting adults time

[The word, adults, should have an apostrophe after the 's' to indicate plural possessive.

Because they genuinely believe their posts to be true and their polls to be interesting

[By definition, this option would mean they are not a troll and that you have made a mistake. The best response is to ignore their thread. This is what smart people would do.]

Because some parts of their anatomy are smaller than normal

[This implies also that we should judge women as being inferior if their breasts are too small or their skin is too dark. Is that what you meant?]

Because they are unemployed and angry at the world

[Most people don't like their jobs. This implies that a person would be more angry if they are employed.]

No reason - they just do

Because they enjoy it (ie a hobby)

[There is also a final option: that you have made a mistake in defining the troll. Considering the fact that most people in the world are stupid, this is very hard to do. Even forum admins, who should know better, are neither able to avoid this mistake, nor accept guidance. If you ever want to stop making this mistake, follow these steps:

1. Carefully research what actions the supposed troll committed that caused you to give them that label. Was it what he or she did or what others said about him or her? As the Buddha said, make your own decisions, do not follow others.

2. You are going to have to face the fact that a huge number of expats, including forum members, are alcoholics. They spend their time in the pub rather than the library or in a cafe reading. They cannot be trusted to make sound judgements.]

Exit Strategy has just revealed himself as the Alter Ego of PDLM. No one does Pedant like him.

Surely the best reason having a Van Helsing Day and looking for sponsors for the silver tipped crossbow bolts. Its the only way to clear GeoExpat of the undead.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast