Typhoon Molave - T8?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

it's now a cat 1 - whoohoo. Batten down the hatches

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    Its NOT a local HK classification and I hope this makes you understand why.
    I never said it was! I said it was an international classification .. and now its a Cat 1 anyway.....

Still a T3 according to the HK Observatory. Likely to go to Signal No. 8 at 11.30. So where did this Cat 1 come from?

T8 means above 62 km/h sustained winds. You do not need a Typhoon for this - a severe depression will be sufficient as well. While of course it may be questionable whether you have to shut down the entire town at that point, I do not wanna sit in a minibus when a 100km/h gust catches it from the side. Which is why public bus transport shuts down and why taxi drivers lose their insurance (and hence also usually stop service). HK is a city that relies extremely on public transport - imagine being stuck in an MTR station when all buses have been cancelled. The danger here is not that we're all swept away Katrina style - the danger is that we all have to squat in our offices because we can't get across the harbor anymore.

Well, at least this one is fast. Should be back to T3 by lunchtime tomorrow

Category 1 is an international definition of storms, same as they use for hurricanes in the Atlantic. So for example, I think Katrina which stuck new orleans was a 4 or 5. Yet we get worried by a 1 here.... see Tropical Storm Risk (TSR) for long-range forecasts of hurricane, typhoon and cyclone worldwide.

The T signals are wind warnings here in HK - a 3 is the strong wind warning; next one is 8 (a standard typhoon) then 9 ( a bad typhoon) then 10 (nightmare scenario).

T8 will be hosted before or at 11:30 pm on the ATV world screen

just gone up

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    Still a T3 according to the HK Observatory. Likely to go to Signal No. 8 at 11.30. So where did this Cat 1 come from?
    Tropical Storm Risk (TSR) for long-range forecasts of hurricane, typhoon and cyclone worldwide

a far better site than HK obs in my humble opinion

not that CAT 1 is a big deal, blustery day in England frankly

Quote Originally Posted by limepickle:
    I agree. Much more information and prettier graphics. I use their alert service too so we get plenty of warning to tie up the boat if we are going to be away for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I agree. Much more information and prettier graphics. I use their alert service too so we get plenty of warning to tie up the boat if we are going to be away for a few days.
    next 'typhoon' you should definitely have a party

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast